Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VR headset

Options
  • 29-10-2016 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, my son is looking for a VR headset for Christmas! He has a play station! Will any other kind work with it or will I have to buy the official one? If I do have to get the original do I need to buy anything else to get it to work! I am not mean but I am on a budget as I have four kids! And they all want really really expensive stuff!!
    Any help?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Tee456 wrote: »
    Hi, my son is looking for a VR headset for Christmas! He has a play station! Will any other kind work with it or will I have to buy the official one? If I do have to get the original do I need to buy anything else to get it to work! I am not mean but I am on a budget as I have four kids! And they all want really really expensive stuff!!
    Any help?
    Thanks in advance

Only the official one will work on the PS4.
    It also needs the camera and the move controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tee456

F1ngers wrote: »
    Only the official one will work on the PS4.
    It also needs the camera and the move controllers.
    Thanks
    Any idea how much they will cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Thanks
    Any idea how much they will cost?

Most places are 400 for the headset, 50 for the camera and the price of the Move controllers varies a lot and they are hard to find cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Too expensive a toy for a kid. He's going to want so many different games to try too which are all going to cost.
    It's also so early in it's development that it's better to wait for a year at least.
    By next Christmas there will be more games, cheaper games and better games....the device itself will also be cheaper.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Too expensive a toy for a kid. He's going to want so many different games to try too which are all going to cost.
    It's also so early in it's development that it's better to wait for a year at least.
    By next Christmas there will be more games, cheaper games and better games....the device itself will also be cheaper.

Do you know it there is a headset for ipad? If so are they any good? As he has ipad already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Do you know it there is a headset for ipad? If so are they any good? As he has ipad already!

No. Basically the only mid-high tier headsets are

-Gear VR (for Samsung Galaxy S6 and up phones) ...this is entry level at 100e or so
    -PS VR (for PS4 which is about 400e or whatever, not sure on price and games)
    -Oculus Rift (for PC ...about 600e)
    -HTC Vice (for PC ...about 800e)

It's a VERY NEW technology, so he probably just wants to experience it. But it's definitely not worth it yet at this stage. It's still in testing and development and noone is really sure if it will take off immediately or after a few years.
    But definitely wait. It's a lot of money to spend on a kid , and he won't make nearly as much use out of it as you think.
    I'd guarantee it'll be on his shelf after 1-2 months.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    No. Basically the only mid-high tier headsets are

-Gear VR (for Samsung Galaxy S6 and up phones) ...this is entry level at 100e or so
    -PS VR (for PS4 which is about 400e or whatever, not sure on price and games)
    -Oculus Rift (for PC ...about 600e)
    -HTC Vice (for PC ...about 800e)

It's a VERY NEW technology, so he probably just wants to experience it. But it's definitely not worth it yet at this stage. It's still in testing and development and noone is really sure if it will take off immediately or after a few years.
    But definitely wait. It's a lot of money to spend on a kid , and he won't make nearly as much use out of it as you think.
    I'd guarantee it'll be on his shelf after 1-2 months.

OK thanks! Think time to convince him to ask for something else

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Does your son just want a VR headset in general and he knows nothing about them, or does he have an interest and some knowledge about them? If the latter is the case, you should talk to him about it to save yourself buying the wrong expensive gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Take him to a few demos, Gamestop are currently demoing the PSVR in a few spots, it might take the shine off it. Waiting for the technology to mature a bit is definitely the right way to go on all platforms.

Advertisement