Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows updates taking over my pc

Options
  • 29-10-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

@s also think that they can shut your pc down when they feel like it. God, we should start a petition on this. Arrears

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

@s also think that they can shut your pc down when they feel like it. God, we should start a petition on this. Arrears

Yeah, that's a rant. Love that it ends in arrears too.

In most cases, these updates are security based, designed to plug holes in your computers defence. They are, unfortunately, a necessary evil. I'll always recommend turning auto updates on. In fact, in this case, it may be that Windows is "catching up" on all the updates that you missed out on. Once completed, you should only get one update per month (I believe anyway, they recently swapped to roll up patches.), plus daily updates for the windows defender (if it's turned on)

If you are serious about getting rid of Windows. then the current consensus Linux choice seems to be Linux Mint. I don't have experience of it, so I'm not sure if it's great or not.

In my experience, every OS will have trade offs. You're just not going to get an OS that will be all things to all people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unfortunately you agreed to the terms and conditions so can't really complain.

Apple's OS is a lot cheaper than Windows.
    many varieties of Linux , BSD and others are free.

Security patches are a sad fact of life :(
    with the free OS's though the patches usually also do the applications too.

Seriously if you have Adobe products you'll know it's not just Microsoft pushing patches on a regular basis. A company worth $47.4 and they still can't produce a secure pdf or flash viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I dont mean to turn this into an "everyone should use Linux" thread but really, everyone should use Linux. Bit of a learning curve to start with, but once you get past that, your system is so much more responsive and easy to maintain. Plus, as the last person said, a system upgrade also updates all your software as everything is managed through the OS. Even a large system upgrade takes no more than a few minutes, and I rarely have any issues with system stability or anything like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I dont mean to turn this into an "everyone should use Linux" thread but really, everyone should use Linux. Bit of a learning curve to start with, but once you get past that, your system is so much more responsive and easy to maintain. Plus, as the last person said, a system upgrade also updates all your software as everything is managed through the OS. Even a large system upgrade takes no more than a few minutes, and I rarely have any issues with system stability or anything like that.

Ah, I'm going to disagree with you there. Perhaps it's just me, or perhaps it's the hardware I buy, but I've never, not once, had an easy install with Linux.

If it isn't the wireless card, then it's the graphics card, or some other thing that has me starting up a terminal, spending hours trying to get a resolution.

I'd still recommend it for some people, but for me, it just doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

MacOS is your friend. I never looked back tbh. Linux is another one. They have updates now and then too but it's not like that MS circus at all. Linux packages are way smaller too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

MacOS doesn't support most hardware (and is rubbish). Linux is simple to install and "just works" these days. Use a mainstream distro, not some obscure one!

However windows "just works" as well, so the problem likely exists between keyboard and chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ah, I'm going to disagree with you there. Perhaps it's just me, or perhaps it's the hardware I buy, but I've never, not once, had an easy install with Linux.

If it isn't the wireless card, then it's the graphics card, or some other thing that has me starting up a terminal, spending hours trying to get a resolution.

Have you tried any Linux distros recently? It's been at least a year since I had any sort of graphics or wireless card issue. The Linux kernel version 4 is pretty great when it comes to hardware support out of the box. Even picks up my ancient printer out of the box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CatInABox wrote: »

My experience is the same. Always something not working on Linux. Also I just don't like the apps.

Advertisement