Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical defect

Options
  • 29-10-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello, i have a small physical defect that needs to be dealt with. Let's not get into details as to what it is, but i am wondering where should I go to. An ordinary doctor? And if so, as a medical card owner, do i need to go to "my family doctor" or "GP" in my home town? Or would I just be able to go to any doctor in any city/county in Ireland, and the medical card would still cover it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Iwantmoney wrote:
    Hello, i have a small physical defect that needs to be dealt with. Let's not get into details as to what it is, but i am wondering where should I go to. An ordinary doctor? And if so, as a medical card owner, do i need to go to "my family doctor" or "GP" in my home town? Or would I just be able to go to any doctor in any city/county in Ireland, and the medical card would still cover it?

You need to go to which ever doctor your MC is registered with. Your other option is to see another doctor and pay for the procedure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Iwantmoney wrote: »

It also depends on the physical defect and whether it can be dealt with by a GP. Some small things can be done by the GP straight away, others will require an appointment, and others will require a referral to the hospital.

Most small/side room procedures aren't covered by a medical card either btw.

Medical card will cover your own GP, unless you're in some other part of the country (on holidays, visiting friends) and take sick - then some doctors will see you. However they're on a case by case basis and are unlikely to see you for a routine physical defect if it's not an urgent case.

Advertisement