Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Voltage seems low

Options
  • 29-10-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys I'm trying to track down the cause of an audio problem and I see the cpu Vcore voltage value is 1.096 v is max 1.104v on an I5 3450 with ASrock B75 Pro3 . Is this voltage a little low even though I have CPU Voltage offset on the tuning utility set to +100mv?

I'd appreciate any opinions

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

why do you reckon its cpu ? what sort of audio issue are you having.

from my experience when it comes to audio issues its either driver conflict-since you might have realtek,some MB extra sound boost driver,then nvidia often has their own drivers for hd audio-so check device manager.

Second issue is RF interference,basically i got 9 plugs under the table for speakers,psu,printer etc that created interference when high voltage cables are close to each other,since most cables are shielded to some extent but it causes a lot of issues if few are bundled close together.

whatever you try to achieve with your cpu isnt likely an issue,you only touch voltage when doing OC,which is different topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks its an audio drop out problem when a new tab is opened in firefox or some other programme is opened which increases the CPU load. Its a stand alone audio card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

You should try LatencyMon, most likely one of your applications/drives is causing a problem and using this App should help you to detect the issue.

as said you should start with troubleshooting audio drivers in device manager and see if theres any other ones,that might be causing conflict or just upgrade to stable latest version.

since its quite unusual if cpu load increases just because opening extra tab on browser - depending how long your running your os,if there been any updates.trash malware you might need some cleanup.

As for cpu only thing id look up is temps on idle and while under load,since that would indicate issue use smth like cpu-z since if you tried to OC again unclear you could have some settings wrong - buts its hard to speculate on info given.

Also if its daily occurrence id look into event viewer -under windows-system tab,should be plenty of red signs and error codes to go with,that might point to whats actually happening.

That aside there was recently update for win 8 and lots of updates for win10,and one particular update of windows 8 caused massive loads on cpu for someone i know.

Have tried a couple of those programs and updated all possible drivers without success.

deceit wrote: »
    You should try LatencyMon, most likely one of your applications/drives is causing a problem and using this App should help you to detect the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tony wrote: »
    Thanks its an audio drop out problem when a new tab is opened in firefox or some other programme is opened which increases the CPU load. Its a stand alone audio card.

I have something like that on the laptop.

Does the audio hang until you let go of the mouse button?

no it just drops out for a second
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I have something like that on the laptop.

Does the audio hang until you let go of the mouse button?

ok so your running desktop
    what OS ?
    how long you had this install running and how long is the trouble with audio ?
    when in device manager how many audio drivers there is ?
    what sort of messages does event viewer generate-since smooth system doesnt have any red ones,where your one id imagine would generate quite few either yellow triangle or red crosses with error codes and short description on which driver or file it was triggered.

if you can answer those questions it would be easier to narrow issue down,since audio cpu might not even be relevant if other software causes memory/cpu to be sucked up by whats running thus drop out in sound as side effect issue.

Thanks , OS is win 7 running for 3 years. Only started noticing the audio stuff about 6 months ago but it could have been there from the start as the software that showed this up was installed then.
    Audio drivers are
    1. Sound blaster Audio Controller
    2. Sound blster Z
    3. High definition audio device (disabled)
    4. VB Audio Voicemeeter AUX Vaio
    5. VB Audio Voicemeeter Vaio

The last error under "administrative events " is The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    hwinterface , that was at 1.26 yesterday afternoon.

Appreciate your help

"
    scamalert wrote: »
    ok so your running desktop
    what OS ?
    how long you had this install running and how long is the trouble with audio ?
    when in device manager how many audio drivers there is ?
    what sort of messages does event viewer generate-since smooth system doesnt have any red ones,where your one id imagine would generate quite few either yellow triangle or red crosses with error codes and short description on which driver or file it was triggered.

if you can answer those questions it would be easier to narrow issue down,

Latency Mon also says

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

• Advertisement

try disabling all browser addons on firefox and get malwarebytes and avast sweep on any dodgy and old files that might be causing slow down,before moving forward.

ok doing that now

Edit: nothing bad found with security and malware sweep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Leave your CPU voltage at default (I presume you're not over clocking). I can't think of any reason why that would ever cause audio issues. You have a cheapish board with limited voltage control options, but that's beside the point.

Thanks are any good 1155 boards still available ? I'd try upgrading if I thought it would help.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Leave your CPU voltage at default (I presume you're not over clocking). I can't think of any reason why that would ever cause audio issues. You have a cheapish board with limited voltage control options, but that's beside the point.

plenty of MB's with that socket on amazon and the likes for under 100e,but dont get it are you trying to OC your cpu vga ,or looking to upgrade or to fix issue you have with your sound card ,since if its the later just backup your files to external drive and do clean install.

Since whatever is causing your issues most likely driver conflict and clean system would be best way to go with fresh start,otherwise your stuck in loop trying to find drivers which might be outdated or have some crap left in registry files ,since when it comes to sound issues and slow system you need to dig into dump files and try to figure out which device drivers are culprits,and what using your cpu/memory,thats why suggested to do full sweep of system,since 3yrs running composes a lot of trash,if not maintained properly.

Thanks for the info. According to latency monitor the highest DPC seems to be NDIS.6.2 driver and DirectX Graphics kernel Do you think a win 7 or 10 clean install might help with this ? One other question if I may , a google search suggested a memory problem and to set the BIOS to xmp 1.3 profile which I tried but CPU Z is now showing the memory speed at 798.1 (its 1600 ) , should the BIOS be set at 1600 or xmp profile ?

LOL man not sure how old you are but your def starting to crack me up :D .Why do you even mess with the sytem,vCore ,XMP and stuff like that its for someone who has rig that is built for OCing and you need to actually know what your doing with settings,you need to know what your cpu is capable of what ram modules support xmp and so on,not going into settings and just adjust what you read on the net.

As suggested restore your bios to default is best option.

Also dont interpret any error message you read directly,every error code has lengthy description that usually goes that one or other harfware part might be defected.

Since ram issues usually result in BSOD and happen at random so doesnt matter what software,until it hits bad block on memory which would be constant.

Anyway get win 10 or smth clean install if nothing to lose and see from there,but def dont go bios adjusting or part guessing road,when having issue which clearly isnt indication of any hardware fault,just because error message states it might be one of 100 reasons.

Glad to give you a laugh :) Ok I've defaulted the BIOS and I'll get another SSD and try with a clean windows install when I get time. Thanks again for your help

scamalert wrote: »
    Anyway get win 10 or smth clean install if nothing to lose and see from there,but def dont go bios adjusting or part guessing road,when having issue which clearly isnt indication of any hardware fault,just because error message states it might be one of 100 reasons.

thats the spirit :)

just once you do install clean OS monitor your audio card,since any cracking noises or drop outs as said in my first post usually result of bad drivers or some sort interference,if worried about system do clean up of hardware and blow out all dust,reconnect all hardware and re apply thermal paste where needed,in some cases makes world of difference.

not the task for everyone,but having clean box,and fresh install easier to know when smth aint working right and catch up where issue might be.

Also since id troubleshoot issues in different way,before doing wipe out,might as well boot into safe mode,see if issue exists,or better burn linux into usb (using rufus) and see how pc behaves when it comes to sound.

Advertisement