Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire Kids Edition Tablet (7 inch)

Options
  • 29-10-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Hi all....

Just wondering does anyone have the Amazon Fire Kids Edition Tablet as I've been eyeing them for the kids this Christmas. Amazon have £20 off them today so of more interest.

So the questions.......

1. Is the Amazon Kids subscription geo-blocked or will it work in Ireland? I know it comes free for the first year but want to be sure I can access the content.

2. Can I install a YouTube app on the kids profile?

3. Can I install Netflix on the kids profile?

4. Looking like they won't deliver to Ireland so guessing it would be a Parcel Motel job.

5. Possible to install Emby Android app?

Any other thoughts from people that might have them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nicky28

Hi I am wondering most of the above too! Seems good value with £20 off, and seems to be the best option for a kids tablet. I wouldn't mind if the video content did not work once the apps could be accessed. I see someone else said they put Netflix on it so there's lots on that. Can I ask pp why did you return it because it was too much hassle?! Not sure to get this or more basic leappad type tablet, dd is 5 so will be happy with anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

nicky28 wrote: »
    Hi I am wondering most of the above too! Seems good value with £20 off, and seems to be the best option for a kids tablet. I wouldn't mind if the video content did not work once the apps could be accessed. I see someone else said they put Netflix on it so there's lots on that. Can I ask pp why did you return it because it was too much hassle?! Not sure to get this or more basic leappad type tablet, dd is 5 so will be happy with anything!

It's actually 25% off so incorrectly advertised. I paid £75 each instead of £99. You are limited to 1 per colour per account. I went ahead and bought 3 (registered an account in my wife's name with the same ParcelMotel address and credit card as my main account).

From reading it seems the video content is geo blocked which is fine with me as it seems I can log in as a parent, install apps and allow them for the kids profile. If that's the case I can install Netflix, Emby android app for media on my local network and YouTube Kids. That will be all the video content I could need.

I've bought the 3 tablets way ahead of time so I can have a good play and see if they can meet my/kids needs.

Also my 6 year old has one of the LeapPad tablets and while she does use it, the 5 year old iPad or my phone is always the 1st choice which I want to get away from. The LeapPad has some good apps but is a little clunky and slow. I'm hoping the experience of a tablet will outweigh that of the LeapPad. 2 years "break it and we'll replace it" policy is quite attractive also.

I was seriously considering getting the kids these tablets anyway and the fact that I saved £75 today was a bonus. I also bought 3 x 32GB microSD cards and a purple cover as the girls would get mixed up if we had two pink ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nicky28

Thanks for your reply. Yes I had read about the leappads being a bit slow alright and it seems you have to pay extra for a lot of the content. Do you know how long they have the 25% off offer on? Prob should just go ahead and order it. Might not be much more of a reduction on black Friday. Hopefully will work ok over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

nicky28 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I had read about the leappads being a bit slow alright and it seems you have to pay extra for a lot of the content. Do you know how long they have the 25% off offer on? Prob should just go ahead and order it. Might not be much more of a reduction on black Friday. Hopefully will work ok over here.

Honestly have no idea how long the offer is for so I bought today. I doubt Black Friday would be much more than 25% either tbh.

Edit. Looked it up and the Black Friday deal last year was 30% off.

Advertisement