Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I a virus.

Options
  • 28-10-2016 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Some of my keys don't seem to work and then start working again. Do I have a virus.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Some of my keys don't seem to work and then start working again. Do I have a virus.
    Try another keyboard. Try running malware bytes free to see if it finds anything. In device manager right click the keyboard/properties and see if it says This device is working properly.

If above does not work you need to give more detail re what OS/any AV you have/any other problems etc

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

Is there anything caught underneath the keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

pillphil wrote: »
    Is there anything caught underneath the keys?

Lol - I regularly have the same problem after eating a bag of crisps at my laptop. A quick winding (turn it upside down and slap it on the back a few times) soon sorts it out :D

Maybe in the OPs case it could be that or else a small spillage of something sticky like coke. But also try Safe Mode - if it happens there as well then the chances are it is a physical problem. Try another keyboard maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Might be some mink hairs caught under the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭minktrapper

degsie wrote: »

Excellent. Never thought of that.

• Advertisement

Try another keyboard. Try running malware bytes free to see if it finds anything. In device manager right click the keyboard/properties and see if it says This device is working properly.

If above does not work you need to give more detail re what OS/any AV you have/any other problems etc

When I scroll down with the down arrow key it keeps scrolling down until I hit the up key again.

Is "malware bytes free" an antivirus program available on the net.

Is "malware bytes free" an antivirus program available on the net.

Yes

Thank you Jenny Smith and Degsie.Hope its works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Do A Full virus scan with your current antivrus program, download avg free antivirus
    if you don,t have one installed .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Maybe the creators of the virus wanted have a good giggle of you not being able to use your keyboard :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

degsie wrote: »

Is that you Michael D. Higgins?

stevek93 wrote: »
    Is that you Michael D. Higgins?

Maybe so, maybe not....:D

I am back with my virus problems. My PC is really canoodled. Is it possible to reload Windows on to my computer. Therefore getting rid of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I am back with my virus problems. My PC is really canoodled. Is it possible to reload Windows on to my computer. Therefore getting rid of the virus.

That's definitely possible, but have you run a virus scan to see if there is actually a virus on the computer?

Also, download Malwarebytes Free and run that.

If you decide to reload Windows, make sure to have all your personal files saved somewhere!

I bought one of the popular antivirus programs and ran it. But it does not seem to have worked. I am not worried about losing any files/information that is on it. I am now having problems with connecting to the net. How do I reload Windows on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

How do I reload Windows on to it.

Stop being a troll and use this.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Stop being a troll and use this.

Not trying to be a troll. Just not as PC savvy as I should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I bought one of the popular antivirus programs and ran it. But it does not seem to have worked. I am not worried about losing any files/information that is on it. I am now having problems with connecting to the net. How do I reload Windows on to it.

A year later?

I remember that I had a problem with a previous laptop. The keys appeared to stop working. From reading the laptop user manual, it was apparent that this was caused by (unwittingly) hitting one of the function keys at the top of the keyboard. IIRC, it just required something simple like the same function key to be hit again, in order to undo the problem. It worked away after that.

A year later?

I remember that I had a problem with a previous laptop. The keys appeared to stop working. From reading the laptop user manual, it was apparent that this was caused by (unwittingly) hitting one of the function keys at the top of the keyboard. IIRC, it just required something simple like the same function key to be hit again, in order to undo the problem. It worked away after that.

I rarely use the laptop so that is why it is a year later. It isn't all the keys that are not working only some of them. And the keys that were not working were changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Let me remote onto it and I'll tell you if the keyboard if ****ed or if its a software issue. Can clean it up too if required.

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Let me remote onto it and I'll tell you if the keyboard if ****ed or if its a software issue. Can clean it up too if required.

Can you elaborate for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Can you elaborate for me.

I could access your pc remotely if you download TeamViewer or logmein or any remote software.

If the issue is not present when I type on my keyboard then it'll be hardware most likely.

If the keys don't work while I type then it's software related.

I can run ccleaner, malwarebytes, make sure you have a good up to date anti virus and if any viruses are found look at removing them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think this thread has run it's course. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement