Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help me date some registration numbers please?

Options
  • 28-10-2016 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I've undertaken a little history project. To locate photographs and any info possible on the earliest of VW vans built in Ireland, 1951-1954. The so-called "barndoor" buses.

I have photos of quite a few gathered up at this stage and have dated lots of them but as you will know, some of the lesser populated counties had one letter-number sequence that could have spanned across 50-60 years before they got through the first 9999 registrations and the sequence changed to the next one.

If anyone could help narrow down the date ranges of any of these registrations, I'd be much obliged. Even down to the year. Bear in mind, they'll all be 1951, 52, 53 or 54.

thank you :)

ZF 5304
    ZF5304%20Portlaoise_zpsp9gaewcn.jpg

IC 4495 IC 6023
    IC4495%20carlow_zpsmbgpgyno.jpg

LI 6099
    LI6099%20athlone_zpskh1natqh.jpg

BI 5763
    BI5763%20monaghan_zpsxftqpykg.jpg

ZF 6531?
    ZF6531%20Cork_zpskzc1xegx.jpg

TI 7107
    TI7107%20pickup_zpsgrravqg5.jpg

CI 6540 CI 6568
    abbeyleix%20garage-inside_zpskq5xrvos.jpg

these two "CI" vans I have at least narrowed down to post mid-late 1953. I have a confirmed date of April '53 for the beetle CI 5798.

also, if you have come across any other photos or evidence of any 1951-1954 Irish VW vans, please share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Nothing to share but love those pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

cheers Kevin, that's only a sample, the ones I couldn't identify the years of. There are more in a thread on Eircooled. I have photographs of 27 individual vans at this stage. There were less than 500 built from 51-54 so 27 of those isn't a bad innings in terms of publicly available photos. For a pretty mundane subject matter in days of relatively expensive and inaccessible photography. Compared to nowadays of course. Some people take a dozen photos before breakfast and then another dozen OF their breakfast....

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

[these two "CI" vans I have at least narrowed down to post mid-late 1953. I have a confirmed date of April '53 for the beetle CI 5798.

also, if you have come across any other photos or evidence of any 1951-1954 Irish VW vans, please share :)[/QUOTE]

Who were the VW dealers in Laois back then Trevor?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Why cant the powers that be regenerate these old numbers & we can get old Irish age related plates instead of the stupid silly re reg number system thats in place now? i have IC 9325 tucked away!

Jomcc wrote: »
    [these two "CI" vans I have at least narrowed down to post mid-late 1953. I have a confirmed date of April '53 for the beetle CI 5798.

also, if you have come across any other photos or evidence of any 1951-1954 Irish VW vans, please share :)

Who were the VW dealers in Laois back then Trevor?[/QUOTE]

this photo was presumably taken the same day as the interior shot above, the same vehicles are rearranged outside. Sadly, the dealership and all evidence of the building are long gone. Redeveloped into apartments I believe. :(

abbeyleix%20garage_zpswxdxmllo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Interesting to see the VW ambulance. Were they 6volt like the Beetle?

yep, until the bay window model came out in late '67

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I'd say you would need to get in touch with the relevant County council.
    Get them to find the nearest number on their system to the one you have and get the year from them.
    Other than that limber up your typing fingers and get on the Motorcheck site and start entering numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Who were the VW dealers in Laois back then Trevor?

this photo was presumably taken the same day as the interior shot above, the same vehicles are rearranged outside. Sadly, the dealership and all evidence of the building are long gone. Redeveloped into apartments I believe. :(

abbeyleix%20garage_zpswxdxmllo.jpg[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I actually thought it looked like there. At first thought it may have been Aldritts in Portlaoise but they were Ford Dealers as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

My first V.W. Beetle was IC 4719 it was 1953. I also have photos of Moorpark Garage, Birr, which was owned by the late John Hoare, who was the Main V.W, dealer in South Offaly, taken in 1962/63. I worked there at the time. Cunninghams, Tullamore, were the main V.W. dealers in North Offaly.
    John daughter kindly E Mailed them to me a few years ago. They brought back some very happy memories to me!

• Advertisement

thanks for the info matt. that puts IC 4495 as earlier than yours, so most likely also 1953 and IC 6023 may be into 1954.

any chance you could share those photos? I'd love to see them :)

Advertisement