Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade O'clock

Options
  • 28-10-2016 6:14pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So if a man had a few quid put aside and wanted to get a new CPU, motherboard and RAM, which will be matched against a 970 and SSD, what would the savvy gamer be opting for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Shiminay wrote: »
    So if a man had a few quid put aside and wanted to get a new CPU, motherboard and RAM, which will be matched against a 970 and SSD, what would the savvy gamer be opting for?

The smart builder would hold off till Q1 2017 for the release of Kabylake chips as while they wont offer a huge boost over Skylake CPU's they should hit around the usual 7-15% and have a good chance of dropping the Skylake prices down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Venom wrote: »
    The smart builder would hold off till Q1 2017 for the release of Kabylake chips as while they wont offer a huge boost over Skylake CPU's they should hit around the usual 7-15% and have a good chance of dropping the Skylake prices down a bit.

Also, AMD Zen.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also, AMD Zen.

23818103.jpg

Yeah sure bro :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The smart builder will wait and upgrade his monitor instead :)

Soooo, what's a tasty 24-27" G-Sync Monitor... :D

The smart builder will wait and upgrade his monitor instead :)

Soooo, what's a tasty 24-27" G-Sync Monitor... :D

Asus RoG Swift line

TN panel
    https://www.asus.com/ie/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/

IPS panel
    https://www.asus.com/ie/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/

Price

Legal+issues+arem+t+important+if+you+got+loadsamoney+_28762f563e13db2ff1f2085b7fd48aa5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'm in the same boat. It's only a few months more for Kabylake and to see what Zen brings to the table. And, if AMD bring out a CPU that's competitive and cheap I'd definitely consider it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not sure id chance asus or acer monitors, long list of potential issues and general quality defects reported, some users over on ocuk report getting 4-5 replacements before getting a decent panel.
    Ofcourse some are lucky but it seems to be a lottery.

Id suggest Dells 27" 1440 Gsync offering, friend got one last week and its glorious.

I have a 24" AOC 2460PG 1080 gsync 144hz and its perfect for the 970 if you want to keep that 144hz sweetspot, 970 with a 1440 would struggle to hit 144hz/fps consistently imo.
    Its also known to have the best colours for a tn panel, id say its maybe 90% of what my 60hz IPS sitting beside it is in terms of colours,the difference is barely noticeable.
    As nice as the dell is I did notice its colours were not as good as my AOC.

Performance of 144hz and gsync has to be seen to be believed ,ill never go back to 60hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Venom wrote: »
    Yeah sure bro :pac:

I dunno where this is coming from. Zen looks to be the most promising thing from AMD in years.

Granted, previously they've gone all out on the hype train, only to have their products fall flat, but at least this time we have a benchmark or two to go on before release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

See what black Friday cyber Monday has to offer. Otherwise waiting to see what new Intel and amd line up throw out might be worth the wait if you can still game in the meantime.

Update:

Well Black/Cyber weekend has been and gone and what sort of lunacy did our hero engage in?

I bought a new Bass Guitar and Studio Monitors (my flat is now a home recording studio) which wiped out quite a bit of budget, but I did squeeze in the AOC G2460PG after seeing my colleague take delivery of an Asus ROG 1080 G-Sync monitor this morning. Yes, it's the cheapest G-Synch out there, yes, it's only 1080, but damnit, I was already on the cusp of getting something when my buddy's arrived and so I just couldn't help myself.

Anyway, delivery on Thursday I think which means I'll have 1 evening to play with it as I'm away for the weekend.

Thanks for the tips/encouragement :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

It's a solid monitor! Enjoy :D

I've had some time with this monitor now and it's difficult to find much wrong with it. I think the "difference" it makes is marginal in truth, I'd probably have been better off with a "basic" 120 or 144Hz monitor and €100 in my pocket.

I've been playing Titanfall 2 and The Witcher 3 with it, The Witcher in particular seems to behave more smoothly as it's pushing the 970 that much harder. Gonna try something old like CS:GO and see how it plays - that's gotta be able to get major frames or I'll be cross :D

Advertisement