Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raids In Dublin

Options
  • 28-10-2016 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Sad to hear the news that Dublin dance station RINCE on 88.1 FM were raided this afternoon by members from Comreg assisted by the Gardai. The station was off since Wednesday.

This comes at a time when there were rumours of raids over the past few weeks.

All Dublin pirates off air at the moment as a precaution.

Chin up guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your only other post on boards was to bemoan the demise of a legitimate, licensed station (TXFM) yet here you are waving the flag for pirates....

and you don't see the glaring hypocrisy in those statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

PL259 wrote: »
    Sad to hear the news that Dublin dance station RINCE on 88.1 FM were raided this afternoon by members from Comreg assisted by the Gardai. The station was off since Wednesday.

This comes at a time when there were rumours of raids over the past few weeks.

All Dublin pirates off air at the moment as a precaution.

Chin up guys.

Good. The FM transmitter in my car will work properly for a while so that I can listen to the music I want to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PL259

coylemj wrote: »
    Your only other post on boards was to bemoan the demise of a legitimate, licensed station (TXFM) yet here you are waving the flag for pirates....

I'm a lover of all radio, legal, pirate that's why I posted this up on the radio section of the page, As an anorak this is a news story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no, because they're is none. pirate stations don't take listeners from licenced stations. maybe back in the 90s that might have been some bit true but definitely not in the 2000s and double definitely not now.

best of luck to rince, hopefully they will be back soon along with the rest.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

If it were not for pirate radio stations we would probably be still stuck with RTÉ radio 1. And Phantom was a far superior radio station than TXFM .
    Just saying 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Good to see that our underfunded and understaffed police are being utilised on stupid tasks like 'raiding' radio stations and the like. Full respect to the force, little for Comreg and this kind of messing.

I don't think a full blown freedom of the airwaves is good, or likely, but realistically these kind of raids are plain stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Good to see that our underfunded and understaffed police are being utilised on stupid tasks like 'raiding' radio stations and the like. Full respect to the force, little for Comreg and this kind of messing.

I don't think a full blown freedom of the airwaves is good, or likely, but realistically these kind of raids are plain stupid.
    Yep, gardai should totally ignore all illegal activities except burglary and violence.

I always laugh at the utter stupidity of comment like above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Yep, gardai should totally ignore all illegal activities except burglary and violence.

If you want to run a radio station, do it online lads. You wont be interfering with the frequencies of legitimate radio stations and wont be bothered by the gardai, you'll most likely have more than the few dozen listeners you currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dxman105

I don't understand this board. This is Ireland - the home of pirate radio legends. You wouldn't have the legal radio and the DJs you have today without pirate radio. Where has this hate on this thread come from? I would guess from very young people who work at the legals that have developed a superiority complex. Not very clever or attractive.

Pirate radio will not wipe out any legits and the whole reason it is done on FM is that it reaches a mass audience. People really have no interest to listen online unless at home. The real reason stations are getting taken off is due to jealous legals who ought to remember their roots.

heybaby wrote: »
    If you want to run a radio station, do it online lads. You wont be interfering with the frequencies of legitimate radio stations and wont be bothered by the gardai, you'll most likely have more than the few dozen listeners you currently have.

what of the current pirates are causing interference to legitimate stations frequencies. i doubt any of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

Where were the Gardai when Dinny and that Rat from Tipperary North fixed up a licence up for esat digifone.

Some poor guy with a bag of vinyl records gets raided ,,, and some fat cat with a bag of cash gets to turn his bag into a suitcase...or two ..

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Walter2016 wrote: »

No, but they should prioritize the crimes. Wouldn't it suck if you where caught up in a robbery and the Gardaí couldn't come out because they where busy raiding a radio station?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Pirates don't just get raided for no apparent reason. More often than not there are other factors at play which bring unwanted attention towards themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

dxman105 wrote: »
    I don't understand this board. This is Ireland - the home of pirate radio legends. You wouldn't have the legal radio and the DJs you have today without pirate radio. Where has this hate on this thread come from? I would guess from very young people who work at the legals that have developed a superiority complex. Not very clever or attractive.

Pirate radio will not wipe out any legits and the whole reason it is done on FM is that it reaches a mass audience. People really have no interest to listen online unless at home. The real reason stations are getting taken off is due to jealous legals who ought to remember their roots.

Absolutely no hate whatsoever you misunderstand me. If we had an unregulated market then I'd say go for it but we don't. The radio market today is vastly different from the one that spawned the original super pirates in the early 80s. Back then the only player in town was essentially Rte, pirates like sunshine, nova and Q102 fed the appetite for an alternative to the establishment.

Personally I'd deregulate the radio market in the morning and let the fittest survive but the downside there would be even more dominance by fewer parties.

Claiming that by broadcasting using a transmitter as opposed to online a pirate station would reach a 'mass' audience is frankly nonsense. When 2fm struggles to reach more than a couple of thousand listeners in Dublin after 8pm I find it impossible to believe a pirate station operating out of a bedroom in clondalkin would have anything near 100 listeners in the entire city.

I salute anyone's love of the medium of radio but I can't help but think there's this romantic notion associated with setting up a pirate station and playing a game out cat and mouse with the establishment and the authorities. If your love of radio is genuine and your finances are limited the most obvious course of action should be to set up a station online. With the use of smartphones now and a bit of social media marketing there's zero reason why an online station couldn't attract more listeners than a pirate in someone's garage. To not adopt new forms of technology and ways of broadcasting is counterintuitive and counterproductive and flies in the face of what every legitimate station is doing. If you're a pirate station move with the times.

Absolutely no hate whatsoever you misunderstand me. If we had an unregulated market then I'd say go for it but we don't. The radio market today is vastly different from the one that spawned the original super pirates in the early 80s. Back then the only player in town was essentially Rte, pirates like sunshine, nova and Q102 fed the appetite for an alternative to the establishment.

Personally I'd deregulate the radio market in the morning and let the fittest survive but the downside there would be even more dominance by fewer parties.

Claiming that by broadcasting using a transmitter as opposed to online a pirate station would reach a 'mass' audience is frankly nonsense. When 2fm struggles to reach more than a couple of thousand listeners in Dublin after 8pm I find it impossible to believe a pirate station operating out of a bedroom in clondalkin would have anything near 100 listeners in the entire city.

I salute anyone's love of the medium of radio but I can't help but think there's this romantic notion associated with setting up a pirate station and playing a game out cat and mouse with the establishment and the authorities. If your love of radio is genuine and your finances are limited the most obvious course of action should be to set up a station online. With the use of smartphones now and a bit of social media marketing there's zero reason why an online station couldn't attract more listeners than a pirate in someone's garage. To not adopt new forms of technology and ways of broadcasting is counterintuitive and counterproductive and flies in the face of what every legitimate station is doing. If you're a pirate station move with the times.

nearly all the pirates in ireland broadcast online, pirates have done so in mass for years now. i don't see why they wouldn't get a good listenership on either fm or online if what they provide is worth listening to. 2fm struggling to get listeners is just as much down to the product they offer as to greater use of online and other technology, that's the same for any station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was wondering were "nineties' radio station had gone has been offline for a week or so, hopefully it comes back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I think you vastly underestimate the popularity of Rince. Comparing it to 2FM is like chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Rock Solid

pablo128 wrote: »
    I think you vastly underestimate the popularity of Rince. Comparing it to 2FM is like chalk and cheese.

99.5 NINETIES in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Rock Solid wrote: »
    99.5 NINETIES in Dublin

That's gone off the air at times over the last while too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://radiotoday.ie/2016/10/90s-radio-station-to-cease-fm-broadcasting/
    Much hyped pirate radio station non-stop 90s is closing down its transmitters today after a year of broadcasting across much of Ireland.
    Pity. I'd say it'll still stay online, but when I was in Ireland, it was a nice radio station to listen to. When I wasn't listening to it, it'd be either George Hook waffling on about something, or my own music, as all the radios seemed to play the same latest tracks on repeat :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What I like about pirate radio is you come across music that I have never heard before, I might have heard and wanted to know more, pirate radio offers that be it dance/rock/alt, main stream radio tries this and fails miserably at it.

If I tune into FM104/Spin/4FM chances are the majority of songs are more than likely played in the last 4 hours previously. That just doesn't cut it for me. I will admit I listen to main stream pop, JB and the likes, but I prefer to listen to it when I feel like it and usually on my TV streamed via YouTube, lack of ads, again no heavy rotation, people put together good playlists on YouTube.

I can't remember the last time I was in a house at a party and someone actually had the radio on FM, and even at that it would be a pirate.

As I have said, the BCI need to seriously look at there heavy handed and dictatorship 'rules' like % irish, % news % talk, again there are stations licensed for this purpose. If people want to listen to that type of stuff, there are stations for it no need to force it on other stations, let them decide, if they want to run T40 na éireann, have news each hour or maybe just at 9/1/6pm.

As for RTÉ on FM, they have RTÉ Pulse on DAB should be on FM, then cherry on the cake is that Spirit FM, what in the name of a bag of lemons, who gave them a license and why have they near 3 FM frequencies in Dublin, should be on DAB or online or over Virgin media/Sky, no need for that to be on FM at all. There could be a license for 90s or whoever wants to try something.

But instead of complaining to the BCI about these rules, they complain about pirates, listen lads goodnight and god bless, everyone can see it the dog on the street knows it, it's only a matter of years before FM becomes unused, once internet radio makes it to the car stereo and is in mass production vehicles. Sad but when you have big stations bullying pirates, I have no time for that. TXFM was the start of the domino's falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Spirit Radio as of right now, have 21 online listeners. That's down from an all time peak of 67 since their provider restarted the server. This thing should NOT be on FM.

Advertisement