Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to replace my phone system with VOIP, please advice

Options
  • 28-10-2016 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

So, I'm looking to improve my office phone system and replace it with VOIP (currently have 3 phones). I'm quite new to all these, but as far as I understand, the phones are working over the Internet. I've googled for some providers and randomly extracted some: phonepulse.ie. nuacom.ie, corecom.ie and others

Now, my question is: how do you identify a good service (is it the price, features) and have you ever used something like this? Your suggestions are much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

basicsxp wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So, I'm looking to improve my office phone system and replace it with VOIP (currently have 3 phones). I'm quite new to all these, but as far as I understand, the phones are working over the Internet. I've googled for some providers and randomly extracted some: phonepulse.ie. nuacom.ie, corecom.ie and others

Now, my question is: how do you identify a good service (is it the price, features) and have you ever used something like this? Your suggestions are much appreciated, thanks.

Hi OP, I found there tends to be more faults with the phone system when its VOIP and sometimes the quality of the sound can be poor when its an international call.

Id go with a major name of your are going down the VOIP route as a lot of companys are reselling a service from another company and god knows where the servers are.

I think all the major telcos offer this in some form or another eir etc, Some will say even try Skype but I had a lot of sound quality problems with that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Whole section on VOIP over here

• Registered Users Posts: 5 basicsxp

Thanks, I'm not sure if Skype is a good solution, most of providers assure that the quality of calls is good, how do I check that? Going with a big provider would be a good choice, I just don't know from where to start and how to evaluate the offers, as with many providers you could have some hidden fees, etc.

Axwell, thanks for suggestion, will browse that section

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The maddest thing is that you might be better off not bothering. Just get everybody a mobile and a flat rate deal. Get a virtual receptionist to forward calls. It's crazy that this makes sense, but in many cases it does. It obviously depends what kind of company you are.

It is worth talking to the big phone suppliers and ask them what solution they suggest.

Magnet is a small player that might be worth talking to: https://www.magnet.ie/business/business-type/small-business/

If Virgin Media are in your area, it might be worth talking to them too.

I know phonepulse somewhat. They are in the PABX business a long time and are well regarded, though I have never bought anything VoIP from them.

Best

Antoin.

• Advertisement

Hi Antoin,

Thanks, looks like an interesting solution, not sure about how cost effective is a mobile flat rate deal and how to set up a virtual receptionist. There is one more thing, what if I already have local phone numbers and I would like to keep them? I just realized that a positive feedback and reference from existing customers is a valuable factor in choosing a provider, so thanks for your detailed post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

basicsxp wrote: »
    Hi Antoin,

Thanks, looks like an interesting solution, not sure about how cost effective is a mobile flat rate deal and how to set up a virtual receptionist. There is one more thing, what if I already have local phone numbers and I would like to keep them? I just realized that a positive feedback and reference from existing customers is a valuable factor in choosing a provider, so thanks for your detailed post.

You can get your phone line forwarded or the number transferred to a virtual receptionist or whatever. I won't say it's always ideal but if it frees up a person in the office it might really help.

A mobile flat rate deal is going to be a few hundred per year per employee and brings a lot of benefits. A pabx has an up front cost and you still have to pay for calls. It honestly depends on your needs. Get something you are comfortable with for sure.

Thanks a lot for your support, it's very informative

Advertisement