Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for provisonal driver

Options
  • 27-10-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, i just started my driving lessons and am keen to get on the road but with insurance these days im not feeling too optimistic.

I was hoping i could insure a car when a chunk of the lessons were done so that i could practice a good bit before the test. Parents don't have a car at the moment so being a named driver isn't really an option.

I read on another thread that you might be able to have a qualifies driver on your own policy and do it that way, does anyone know about this?
    Am i better off waiting till i can get the full licence for a car? My friends are going to help me practice in between lessons but would be great to have my own run around.

Any advice welcome or any similar experiences thanks :) im a female 24year old BTW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it was me I would concentrate on passing the test before getting my own insurance, budget for about 10-15 lessons and then apply for the test.

Just make sure when your practicing with your friends that you are not doing so uninsured or you will get penalty points and insurance after that will be near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Do the test first otherwise you'll pay dearly for insurance even though it will still be expensive after the test.

Note: why do people still call it a provisional licence? It's a learners permit which allows you to drive accompanied by a full licence driver only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kirby2016

If it was me I would concentrate on passing the test before getting my own insurance, budget for about 10-15 lessons and then apply for the test.

Just make sure when your practicing with your friends that you are not doing so uninsured or you will get penalty points and insurance after that will be near impossible.

I have the 12 paid for upfront with the instructor so will have them signed off at least will probably need a few more. Are you able to get insured on someone elses car short term? Im jus concerned about getting enough practice done for the test? But yes will concentrate on lessons maybe i shouldn't run before i can walk with this.

Advertisement