Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder - unfinished tasks

Options
  • 27-10-2016 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I wasn't sure where to place this but thought consumer issues was most appropriate! I recently had a builder in to externally insulate my house. The job was done to a reasonable standard but after payment, the builder has left a number of tasks undone. A large amount of equipment (ladders etc) has been left on my property, wiring has not been tidied up, a skipload of building rubbish remains and render stains have been left in my cul-de-sac much to my neighbours displeasure.

They same builder worked on my neighbours house and they have left a huge pile of bricks on the pathway that are causing a hazard. She is elderly and quite upset at the situation.

Obviously I have called and emailed but to no avail. I am fobbed off and my angry calls and texts are going in one ear and out the other. I have learned that one of the builders involved has passed away but it has been almost 2 months since the work has been completed so it's not a good excuse anymore.

If I had realised that this scenario would take place, I would not have withheld payment but unfortunately I have made the mistake of paying in full once the main job was done!

I would be appreciative of any suggestions as to practical actions I could take to get this situation resolved. I was thinking I could dispose of the mess myself and go through the small claims court for compensation? Or possibly getting a solicitor involved?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Tell the builder you will be charging storage for his property left behind, and that you will sell it if not collected within 30 days.

Advertisement