Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian Crossing - Lombard St / City Quay

Options
  • 27-10-2016 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what's going on with the Pedestrian crossing on the junction of Lombard St and the City Quay (right in front of the Sean O'Casey bridge)?

https://goo.gl/maps/fJsq73dK4BA2

It's a complete mess and very chaotic at the moment, and very dangerous, especially in the rush hour! You have a build up of pedestrians trying to cross a busy road where the lights can take up to 4 mins to change, as well as cyclists travelling both ways crossing the line of pedestrians.

Also, should cyclists be allowed to travel against the flow of traffic on this road? When the lights eventually turn green for pedestrians, you have cyclists speeding from the east who have no idea that the pedestrians have right of way. I have seen a few near incidents with pedestrians and cyclists here.

The sequence of pedestrian lights needs to be improved here, especially during rush hour. It still seems to be a work in progress here as there are still barriers up for the cycle lanes, so I assume there's a bigger plan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you have cyclists speeding from the east who have no idea that the pedestrians have right of way.

there's yield marking on the lanes and cyclists will be easily able to see pedestrians crossing so there is no excuse really for not yielding

4mins is a stupidly long time to expect people to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

chewed wrote: »
    Also, should cyclists be allowed to travel against the flow of traffic on this road?

Eh no, but who's going to stop them...
    When the lights eventually turn green for pedestrians, you have cyclists speeding from the east who have no idea that the pedestrians have right of way. I have seen a few near incidents with pedestrians and cyclists here.

Tut tut, its only a matter of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LC2017

I agree, extremely dangerous during rush hour (anytime in fact). Cyclists on the Sean O'Casey bridge are just as dangerous as well because they end up going weaving in and out of people even though there's multiple signs saying no bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Also, should cyclists be allowed to travel against the flow of traffic on this road? When the lights eventually turn green for pedestrians, you have cyclists speeding from the east who have no idea that the pedestrians have right of way.
    Do Pedestrians have right of way? They are crossing a cycle track, is there a junction on the cycle track that cyclists would have to yield to them when they cross?

I presume the layout is different to the streetview from 2009?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Also, should cyclists be allowed to travel against the flow of traffic on this road? When the lights eventually turn green for pedestrians, you have cyclists speeding cycling from the east who have no idea that the pedestrians have right of way.
    are there lights for people coming inbound along city quay, swinging left onto lombard street?

also, FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there used to be a contra-flow cycle lane there (and with-flow cyclists used the road). then the council for some reason reversed the cycle lane to be with-flow but many cyclists continued to use it in the "wrong" direction.

The current arrangement (which is temporary while they install the quay flood defences) isn't signed at all so cyclists are using it in both directions and as pointed out, cyclists travelling east can't see if the pedestrian lights have changed. The work on the flood defences seems to have come to a halt so I'm not sure what happens next - I think I read somewhere that the plan is to have a 2-way cycle lane once all the works are finished.

As for O'Casey bridge, yes people cycle across it (I'm occasionally among them) but I've never seen any serious conflict between cyclists and peds, bikes are usually going slowly (except for couriers - they're a law unto themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are cyclists on O Casey worse than eejits like me scaring people by bouncing the bridge as hard as I can with little ms Carawaysticks whenever we traverse it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I see they've put up signs for cyclists to yield to pedestrians. I wonder does that mean they have to yield at all times, even if the pedestrian is crossing on a red light?

30100528404_6830d19545_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I would think Yield to Pedestrians means what it says. Is there a similar sign for the man cycling towards us to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Tarabuses wrote: »
    I would think Yield to Pedestrians means what it says. Is there a similar sign for the man cycling towards us to see?

Yes, I think there is on that side as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Even if the kerbs etc are not down yet, it's now a two-way cycle track and is planned to be such when the works are finished: http://irishcycle.com/2015/03/14/cycle-path-upgrade-on-dublin-docklands-south-quays-to-start-in-april/

But the design of the crossing is flawed and will only contuine the current problems.

There should be a pedestrian island of at least 2 metres or more between the cycle path and the road crossing. This would avoid the double conflict and would also allow for dedicated space for bicycles to turn up Lombard Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Those "Yield to Pedestrians" signs are not new, they've been there for at least 6 months now. And yes, they have them on the contra-flow direction, which indicates to cyclists that they're allowed to travel contra-flow.

The biggest culprit here is the absolutely disgraceful duration of construction of the flood defenses, and the two-way cycle path that was supposed to be a part of this. The works have been ongoing for at least 18 months now, if not more, and the progress being made is completely pathetic. On a typical day I'll pass and either (a) zero work is being done or (b) a little bit of work is being done by one worker with 5 others standing around observing them work.

As for the pedestrian-cyclist interaction here, I think pedestrians act very foolishly and selfishly at it - they have a clearly signaled crossing phase, but most will choose to queue not on the existing footpath, but on the cycle path itself. So cyclists are expected not to pass when there's a green pedestrian light AND when there's a red one. It's just another example of how mindless most Dublin peds really are.

Oh and there are plenty of mindless Dublin Bikes riders there too, who come across the O'Casey bridge, and then sit waiting to cross to Lombard Street, with their bike parked fully across the cycle path. Idiots, all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MJohnston wrote: »
    Those "Yield to Pedestrians" signs are not new, they've been there for at least 6 months now. And yes, they have them on the contra-flow direction, which indicates to cyclists that they're allowed to travel contra-flow.

The biggest culprit here is the absolutely disgraceful duration of construction of the flood defenses, and the two-way cycle path that was supposed to be a part of this. The works have been ongoing for at least 18 months now, if not more, and the progress being made is completely pathetic. On a typical day I'll pass and either (a) zero work is being done or (b) a little bit of work is being done by one worker with 5 others standing around observing them work.

As for the pedestrian-cyclist interaction here, I think pedestrians act very foolishly and selfishly at it - they have a clearly signaled crossing phase, but most will choose to queue not on the existing footpath, but on the cycle path itself. So cyclists are expected not to pass when there's a green pedestrian light AND when there's a red one. It's just another example of how mindless most Dublin peds really are.

Oh and there are plenty of mindless Dublin Bikes riders there too, who come across the O'Casey bridge, and then sit waiting to cross to Lombard Street, with their bike parked fully across the cycle path. Idiots, all of them.

loyatemu wrote: »

Ah I mean, I should have stated better, I think intelligence and common sense have a much lower correlation than you'd expect. I reckon a lot of smart people significantly lack common sense.

Then of course you have to bring the altruism-selfishness spectrum into the equation. Some people really don't care that they're causing danger to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its kinda funny that a pedestrian bridge causes problems for pedestrians, another only in dublin planning moment. Like the genius of sticking a dublin bikes station right at the exit of a bridge thats exclusively for pedestrians, what genius managed to keep their job after that f**k up?

4 minutes is a ridiculous cycle for a pedestrian light but dublin traffic control prioritize vehicles over pedestrians, complain to them.

The bridge surroundings are terribly designed too - those cobbled stones may look nice, but they're awful to walk on, meaning most pedestrians used the cycle paths (when they were still there)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

The maximum time in Dublin is 120 secs i believe...how could there be a 4 min wait with a cycle time of 120 secs?

100 secs is the more likely wait time....its still way too long to wait

I find people always exaggerate time spent queuing in traffic or waiting in general....

Advertisement