Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bethesda's anti-consumer review policy

Options
  • 27-10-2016 2:06pm

Surprised this hasn't been discussed yet but thought at this stage this topic deserves a thread of its own

Worrying from Bethesda and I assume other publishers will follow suit.

It's not always 100% the case but the majority of times if a review has an embargo up to release then surely common sense should prevail and you can just wait.
    But somehow people keep feeding into this practice regardless. If the publishers see us accepting this then it's only going to get worse.

Here's the article from Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-26-bethesdas-anti-consumer-review-policy-comes-as-no-surprise

If we as consumers continue to buy into the hype and pre-order titles etc in the wake of such tripe as No Man Sky for example as hard lesson on why to have patience when making a purchase.
    Emotional investment can cloud judgement and this is case with No Mans Sky whatever way you put it

Also Total Biscuit done a great piece on this via his YouTube channel on the topic

Also this new trend of releasing games to consumers earlier who pre-order special editions is another warning light that should not be ignored.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Discussed in the Gaming News thread. Same advice there:

STOP PRE-ORDERING GAMES.

Seriously. If you do, that's your call, but if you're disappointed it's your own fault really.

It doesn't matter how cheap it is on the Game Collection. It doesn't matter what pre-order bonuses are on offer. The only way to determine if a game will suit your particular tastes and interests is to wait until its out, people are playing it and the insane amount of discussion about it ensures there's no nasty surprises waiting when you hit 'buy' a few days later. If you really want to save money it will be on sale within weeks anyway. The only time I think it's reasonable is when there's the possibility a game will be hard to come by (niche Altus releases, for example).

This isn't rocket science, and yet it remains a major issue for people. If more people stopped giving in to publishers' carry on, it would stop. But they don't, so here we are.

Be a smart consumer. It's really never been easier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Discussed in the Gaming News thread. Same advice there:

STOP PRE-ORDERING GAMES.*

*Except if it's made by Blizzard or Valve; because then you'll totally love it every time.
    Updated that for you :P

Agree re: pre-ordering what do reviews even matter if someone has put down money months in advance the game being even finished.

I'm more annoyed by the new trend of offering "Ultimate" editions of games 4 days before retail, there not only are you likely buying the game blind but a season pass too. They also pray on the urge to get a 4 day head start in the multiplayer components.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Nody wrote: »

If only Valve did games :(

I think it's silly that Bethesda points to how well DOOM was received - a good game is going to be a good game, regardless of when people are able to review it.

Terrible practice and something to be concerned about. A movie review embargo close to release is usually a red flag; it's unfortunate that games are treated completely differently (especially, as said, that pre-order culture is so widespread).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

We will start to see Bethesda increasing their pre-order DLC offerings now. They will make it very difficult for consumers to not pre-order by offering something substantial in the hope of getting your money before the reviews come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The problem is for the most part it's probably the younger people who get sucked into the marketing campaigns and put money up front. It's just one of those things they need to learn the hard way and no amount of telling them we know better because we're older and have been stung already is going to convince them that the game in their imagination isn't going to be the game they're buying.

There are adults that seem to never learn, or value being in that group of people who get to use something first, but they're a lost cause. Maybe they just have nothing else in their lives to keep them busy.

Having said all that there is one or two publishers that I'll preorder or buy stuff without hearing anyone else opinion first but it's a small time developer and the DLC is just cars and tracks so can't really be messed up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    If only Valve did games :(
    One day I tell you; one day...

1372542557-half-life-3-i-want-to-believe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

STOP PRE-ORDERING GAMES.

Excellent post, you're dead right. All the hand wringing and teeth-gnashing about this is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Excellent post, you're dead right. All the hand wringing and teeth-gnashing about this is annoying.

I never got this pre order malarkey. Early access games I get. You buy in at a discounted price early, to play with a pre release version and the potential to contribute to the development of the game. Pre ordering makes no sense if the publisher is confident that they're making a good product.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I never got this pre order malarkey. Early access games I get. You buy in at a discounted price early, to play with a pre release version and the potential to contribute to the development of the game. Pre ordering makes no sense if the publisher is confident that they're making a good product.

Problem is they have taken early access one step further and started offering finished product 4 days before general release if you buy the uber edition.

Another case of good intentions vs window of profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Problem is they have taken early access one step further and started offering finished product 4 days before general release if you buy the uber edition.

Another case of good intentions vs window of profit.

That's something totally different to be fair. Early access is basically buying a game on alpha and they all come with a huge health warning that it isn't finished.

The thing you're mentioning is really **** and anyone paying for it needs to cop onto themselves. I think it was $100 for the 4 day early version of Gears of War 4 which is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nody wrote: »

In fairness to Blizzard, I wasn't sold on Overwatch initially - nice cinematic trailer, but I thought it was simply chaotic.

After actually playing the game in Open Beta, I was hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Good old Mr. Biffo's got some interesting points to make about this story - http://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/games-journalism-death-of-a-dream-by-mr-biffo.

My perspective is that I just don't see why people need to have the game on day one. If you're not sure, where's the harm in waiting a day or two to read what people think or watch a gameplay video that hasn't been edited by the developer?

I understand there are exceptions to this; I love Zelda games, and will probably rush out and buy the next one as soon as possible. But, if it stinks, then it's my own fault for not waiting a while and finding that out. I can't blame anyone but myself if I'm unwilling to wait even a few hours before handing out a large chunk of cash for a product that could be broken, unfinished or just plain awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Reviewers aren't as influential as they once were.
    Streamers etc have more influence on people buying games than a review from a certain publication.

Being able to watch 5 hours of gameplay footage as opposed to reading someones review.

As mentioned above, it's due to pre-orders these days that people are disappointed.
    TB himself doesn't give reviews BEFORE games are released, either does AngryJoe or many other sites/people.
    You can easily wait a week and wait for their reviews or opinions if reviews are your thing.

Advertisement