Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padlock through airport security?

Options
  • 27-10-2016 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hows it going laaaads?

Just wondering if I bring a padlock, large, through security will it be removed from my person?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I see no reason as to why it should be ! Its not a weapon and it doesn't contain liquid.
    Now if its attached to something an dis being used to lock it shut, then security may be curious but just a pad lock on it own, don't see any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get some with TSA codes on them, this gives customs a key code they can use to open them. LIDL/ALDI sell them from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kronkit

I mean surely people staying in hostels bring padlocks all the time.

Anyway, thank you for the reply.

I think I'll risk it, worst case scenario, they refuse to let me take it on board so I'll just lock it to a chair or something on the sly haha

Thanks again man

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kronkit

I'll have the key with me too...does everything need an app?

Thank you for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kronkit wrote: »
    I mean surely people staying in hostels bring padlocks all the time.

Anyway, thank you for the reply.

I think I'll risk it, worst case scenario, they refuse to let me take it on board so I'll just lock it to a chair or something on the sly haha

Thanks again man

Is it cabin baggage and how big? A padlock for a locker shouldn't be an issue in hand luggage but a heavy duty one might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Several years ago I flew Dublin to Manchester a couple of times to pick up motorbikes I'd bought on eBay. I had heavy chain and padlocks with me in hand luggage, along with crash helmet. This was all after 9/11 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I don't see how anyone could cause harm with a padlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone could cause harm with a padlock.

In a sock ... very viable weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

GBX wrote: »
    In a sock ... very viable weapon.

Throw a bag of change into a sock and its a viable weapon. A phone. A laptop charger.

Advertisement