Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone diagnosed from Sleep Apnoea???

Options
  • 26-10-2016 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Looks like I will have same..... Sleep like a baby but am knackered all day.

Any waiting to go into hospital for an overnight observation... But expect to be diagnosed with same and to be put on an overnight oxygen machine

Would appreciate any Boardsies tips or advice as to how to get used to this major change in my life????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

its not a major thing in your life,it is if you let it be.. put that thought process away it will do you know good and will only side track you from healing.

The machine isn't that bad,and will greatly improve life and energy
    Have a major look at lifestyle,is there any changes that can be made, processed food,long walk during day? are you overweight? anything that can give you insight is invaluable swimming? ,

No tv in room ,laptop in front room etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A family member of mine has gone through this testing and is due to be fitted with a machine in the next few weeks.
    There are various options out there so the big "mask" type one is just one of the options.

As the poster above says, he just sees it as one of those thing and knows the sooner he gets used to it the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I went with a nasal mask as I'm not a mouth breather. I found the transition to the machine pretty easy and couldn't sleep without it these days. The wife says it's like sleeping with Darth Vader!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Tropheus wrote: »
    I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I went with a nasal mask as I'm not a mouth breather. I found the transition to the machine pretty easy and couldn't sleep without it these days. The wife says it's like sleeping with Darth Vader!

How r you sleeping??? Have u to sleep on you back all night???

Is there a benefit to you day to day life????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

No you don't have to sleep on your back. You can sleep on your side as well. I don't sleep on my front, but I guess that would be a problem with the mask. Yes, I do see a benefit. Is it a huge benefit, not really, but it does help. It really depends on how bad your sleep apnoea is. If your AHI is very high (i.e. number of times you stop breathing in an hour), you are likely to see a bigger benefit more quickly. If your AHI is lower (as mine is), then the benefit isn't quite as noticeable. However it has shown that it lessens the chances of developing high blood pressure and heart disease as your body isn't under as much stress when sleeping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement