Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO help!! New programme

Options
  • 26-10-2016 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Im currently in 6th year and im interested in doing arts when i finish the leaving cert in June.
    I have two main choices.. Bachelor of Arts in University of Limerick (LM002) it's a new programme and it looks great and is in conjunction with Mary Immaculate College (subjects like religion and geography and theatre are taught there) and basically the same thing in Mary I (MI002) in conjunction with UL. Mary I called it Liberal Arts for years but for 2017 it's name changed to BA. Liberal arts in Mary I last year was 330 which i was happy with but i think i would prefer to go to college in UL giving it's a University, but what im worried about is the fact it is a new programme so i don't know the points. I was told at an open day they were thinking of something under 400 points but that isn't confirming it. Im worried about the CAO. I want to put UL first but what if i don't get 400 points? It's frustrating and is really playing on my mind. I want to get it right. I want to be a secondary teacher when i finish and the subjects im interested in are English and Irish. If anybody has any advise or knowledge for me i would really appreciate it as i don't know what to do.
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I might be missing something here, but why not just put the UL course first? If you don't get the points, you don't get the points and you'll get your second choice instead. You should just put your courses down in order of preference - don't start thinking about points or how to beat the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

They won't know the points until they see how many applicants there are and the LC results are released. They are making an educated guess based on the number of applications on previous years and the average points of the courses that are combining to provide this degree.

If you want it put it down first. If you don't get the points you will be offered something else lower down on your list. If you don't put it down first and then you get the points but are offered your first choice, you will be kicking yourself.

As an aside, Mary I degrees are awarded by UL, you are still getting a university degree.

Advertisement