Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

des res in Waterford City

Options
  • 26-10-2016 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to move out of Dublin next year and I was looking at Waterford City. I was just wondering what the most sought-after neighbourhoods/areas within Waterford City were. Quiet places, well kept, good local shops etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What's your budget? Kings Channel is "posh" but expensive

http://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-sale/waterford-city/17-the-estuary-kings-channel-waterford-city-waterford-1237712/

Summerville is lovely but property for sale is like a blue moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

What's your budget? Kings Channel is "posh" but expensive

http://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-sale/waterford-city/17-the-estuary-kings-channel-waterford-city-waterford-1237712/

Summerville is lovely but property for sale is like a blue moon.

350k or under. I'm not under any pressure to leave where I am, so if it takes a while to find a place - in Summerville for example - I'm prepared to hang on until the right place comes up. I want to move once and remain there into my dotage (I'm 50 so dotage is imminent).

The only problem I've found is getting a place before it goes. I was thinking about Skerries, Co. Dublin as a possible place to relocate and from talking to local people, prime houses tend to be gone in a matter of weeks rather than months. Being so far from Waterford, I'll just have to keep consulting MyHome and daft.ie and hope I spot a good property as soon as it comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Given that context have you considered somewhere outside the city but not far away like Dunmore East or Kilmeanden where you may get more of a bang for your euro esp in terms of views and garden size?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Given that context have you considered somewhere outside the city but not far away like Dunmore East or Kilmeanden where you may get more of a bang for your euro esp in terms of views and garden size?

Well, it's just me (no family), so ideally a smaller house (semi-d) near to all the amenities of the city. It's the area in Waterford City I'm looking to identify. Not a Waterford equivalent of Foxrock or Ballsbridge (i.e. fierce posh), but a Waterford equivalent of Sandymount or Ranelagh (nice vibes, friendly atmosphere).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Well, it's just me (no family), so ideally a smaller house (semi-d) near to all the amenities of the city. It's the area in Waterford City I'm looking to identify. Not a Waterford equivalent of Foxrock or Ballsbridge (i.e. fierce posh), but a Waterford equivalent of Sandymount or Ranelagh (nice vibes, friendly atmosphere).

You could take a spin up gracedieu and have a look at the McInerney estates on the left. Carn glas etc. We have relatives and friends living there and they say it's pretty good, not perfect but no major issues. Walkable into town across ballybricken and supermarket, bank etc. at the hypercentre. Go the other way and you're at the start of the greenway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I'm looking to move out of Dublin next year and I was looking at Waterford City. I was just wondering what the most sought-after neighbourhoods/areas within Waterford City were. Quiet places, well kept, good local shops etc.

You should come here and have a look around at the following neighbourhoods: Ardkeen, Grange Park, Newtown, and the area down near the People's Park: Catherine St/South Parade/Water St. I'd also have a look at Tramore; put away any preconceptions you may have of ice cream and slot machines, and look at the Cove, Priest's Rd, and the area around Patrick St and the new Japanese Gardens.

Good luck with it all - Waterford in some ways has way more to offer someone your age than it has for someone in their 20s. It's not great for employment or pulsating nightlife, but has low housing costs, lovely pubs, terrific restaurants, plenty of cultural activities (if not quite at the level of what's on offer in Dublin), and a really great outdoor environment nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Any of the estates out the Dunmore Road area of the city are nice so something like Ardkeen Village has all the amenities right around it.

Collins Avenue, Ballinakill Downs, Earlscourt etc. are all good places to live and near enough to shops and there is also a bus route along the Dunmore Road into the city.

The traffic though at peak times can be heavy but nothing like Dublin traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

Any of the estates out the Dunmore Road as they are near Ardkeen, lovely restaurants, cafes, new Grow HQ centre.
    Waterford has a great quality of life: Theatres, concerts, festivals, coastline, mountains, new greenway.
    I made the move from Dublin years ago - never regret for a second

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

I would avoid Carnglas as someone suggested if you are looking for somewhere quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ATTY

fricatus wrote: »
    You should come here and have a look around at the following neighbourhoods: Ardkeen, Grange Park, Newtown, and the area down near the People's Park: Catherine St/South Parade/Water St. I'd also have a look at Tramore; put away any preconceptions you may have of ice cream and slot machines, and look at the Cove, Priest's Rd, and the area around Patrick St and the new Japanese Gardens.

Good luck with it all - Waterford in some ways has way more to offer someone your age than it has for someone in their 20s. It's not great for employment or pulsating nightlife, but has low housing costs, lovely pubs, terrific restaurants, plenty of cultural activities (if not quite at the level of what's on offer in Dublin), and a really great outdoor environment nearby.

+1 for all these places. There are two nice houses for sale in these areas in your price range

http://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-sale/tramore/holmelea-love-lane-tramore-waterford-1295784/

http://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-sale/waterford-city/crian-laraich-no-24-grange-park-road-waterford-city-waterford-1313413/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I would also suggest out the Dunmore Road direction. It's probably as close a vibe of Ranelgh or Sandymount as you'll get in Waterford. Ardkeen Stores has a lovely feeling of community in it with the supermarket and other shops, library etc, and there's quite a few cafes and restaurants/pubs nearby too.

There is some traffic at peak time but compared with Dublin rush hour it's fine!

You'd get quite a bit for 300k budget out that direction esp if you're only looking for a semi d and not too big-you'd probably spend quite a bit less if that's the kind of place you're looking for.

Advertisement