Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR 2016Q3

Options
  • 26-10-2016 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Radio seems to be on a downward trend whether that’s down to research methodology etc – I don’t know.
    2FM in trouble, behind Sunshine in Dublin – no offense to S/S.
    Usual outpourings: https://goo.gl/pvGRVR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

98FM showing a marked improvement in the year on year in Dublin, FM104 showing a marked decline on the book on book but that's less important! Seems like the Strawberry Alarm Clock has lost a large chunk of listeners in the last year, i'm almost certain they where near 100k a few years back, seems to be around 72k now....still miles ahead of the others, SPin overall is dropping off after years of continued growth.

Interestingly TXFM go off air today, they are up slightly YOY.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Indie Dancer

Thanks for your great work as always Blue4Ever. I was wondering though if you could include all Dublin stations in the
    "JNLR 2016Q3 Dublin Listenership" tab.

In the bit that says "Taken a few Dublin programmes, outside the ones that will show up in other tables, and given a rundown of their performance over a few books" it then goes onto cover:

RTE 1

2FM

Today

Newstalk

FM104

Q102

Spin

There's a few missing like Nova, TX on thier final book, 4FM etc.

Would it be possinle to add them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Red FM claiming top spot in Cork again it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

gimmick wrote: »

They are! (In average daily listenership)

Indie Dancer - thanks for the comment

I don't have that facility 'off the shelf' but might look at it for the next sessions - unfortunately it takes time and I've burned a bit of it at this point

• Advertisement

Thanks Blue4Ever. It would interesting to see where 4FM's Breakfast show sits againt that of 2FM's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭smallfridge

gimmick wrote: »

They are, all adults 15+ red have 29% 96fm have 26%

15-24 red fm have 51% and 96fm have 23%

15-34 red fm have 96fm have 21%

And 96fm are the number one 35+

But average breakfast straight through to night time Red are number in each slot. A great year for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Csalem

Can someone explain how the share works please? In Dublin Spin has more listeners than 98FM but Spin has a smaller share.
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/102913-jnlr-2016q3-dublin-listenership

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Great results for red fm seems niel prenderville has officialy got to no 1 again. Kc needs a few more thousand and theyve nailed it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Honestly can't get my head around this book.

It's like every station (in Dublin at least) has taken a hit (and some big hits in the case of FM104 and 2fm) bar 98fm. Where's everyone else going?

It seems like there was an agreement among all radio stations not to publicise their results on social media (due to TXFM finishing up I'm assuming) but Red decided to do it anyway, which is a bit of a ****ty thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Faugheen wrote: »

It's like every station (in Dublin at least) has taken a hit (and some big hits in the case of FM104 and 2fm) bar 98fm. Where's everyone else going?

It seems like there was an agreement among all radio stations not to publicise their results on social media (due to TXFM finishing up I'm assuming) but Red decided to do it anyway, which is a bit of a ****ty thing to do.

Why is it a ××××ty thing to do. A ilr 170 miles away from dublin to celibrate its success.

Csalem wrote: »
    Can someone explain how the share works please? In Dublin Spin has more listeners than 98FM but Spin has a smaller share.
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/102913-jnlr-2016q3-dublin-listenership

Good question! Share is based on the number of minutes listened to. In the case of Spin it would suggest that although they have more listeners, these listeners listen to less minutes and when the share (listeners X minutes) is calculated 98fm come out ahead

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

vince wrote: »
    Why is it a ××××ty thing to do. A ilr 170 miles away from dublin to celibrate its success.

Because with TX closing down the legitimacy of 16,000 representing the entire population is coming into question.

It's clear that there was a pact not to mention individual figures on social media between all stations, yet Red are the only ones who have on a day that the industry lost a station.

Thanks for your great work as always Blue4Ever. I was wondering though if you could include all Dublin stations in the
    "JNLR 2016Q3 Dublin Listenership" tab.

In the bit that says "Taken a few Dublin programmes, outside the ones that will show up in other tables, and given a rundown of their performance over a few books" it then goes onto cover:

RTE 1

2FM

Today

Newstalk

FM104

Q102

Spin

There's a few missing like Nova, TX on thier final book, 4FM etc.

Would it be possinle to add them?

Indie, I've added come figures to the Dublin page, it's not perfect and it's just this years numbers - not comparative (lazy bo11ox!). It might go some way to answering your question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

blue4ever wrote: »
    They are! (In average daily listenership)
    They are, all adults 15+ red have 29% 96fm have 26%

15-24 red fm have 51% and 96fm have 23%

15-34 red fm have 96fm have 21%

And 96fm are the number one 35+

But average breakfast straight through to night time Red are number in each slot. A great year for them

:confused:

Thats what I said. They have claimed top spot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

overall radio listenership is down, so presumably people turning to their own music/podcasts/just listening less in general?

between the dogs dinner Newstalk have seemingly made of the new lineup, and TXFM closing down, I can see those numbers dropping much more in the next couple of books.

It's all in the numbers: % reach by age in three year intervals:

nat_aud.png

And Dublin........
    Dub_aud.png

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

overall radio listenership is down, so presumably people turning to their own music/podcasts/just listening less in general?

between the dogs dinner Newstalk have seemingly made of the new lineup, and TXFM closing down, I can see those numbers dropping much more in the next couple of books.

With the lack of audience TXFM had though it won't make much of a difference to overall figures, i expect the sample size to change for the next one to massage the figures maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

It's all in the numbers: % reach by age in three year intervals:

nat_aud.png

And Dublin........
    Dub_aud.png

Jaysus that's a scary looking chart.

Given the timespan that those charts cover (and fair play as always to blue4ever for the superb work), I don't think we can pin all the blame for the decline in Radio listening to Spotify and the like. Doubtless Streaming Services are a contributory factor but when you look at the JNLR graphs for how people are getting their music/radio, there is something more going on. Fashion? Formats? Regulation?

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Csalem

Good question! Share is based on the number of minutes listened to. In the case of Spin it would suggest that although they have more listeners, these listeners listen to less minutes and when the share (listeners X minutes) is calculated 98fm come out ahead

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. :)

And thanks for the great analysis as usual.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that update Blue4Ever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Good work as ever blue4ever. Would it be possible to get the Off the Ball and Game on figures included though? They're normally there and it's interesting to see how they're doing.

Radio 1
    Bloody 'aul fellas lads. That's the only explanation for Radio 1's popularity. 'Aul lads. :P
    Fair play though. The one takeaway for me is that D'Arcy is still going steady. Building an audience making incremental gains. It'll be fascinating to see if he can capture more of the massive drop-off between himself and Joe Duffy over the coming books.

2FM
    It's all utterly hopeless. Breakfast Republic is down 51,000 listeners since this time last year. Nicky down 32,000. Tracy Clifford down 27,000. How long will this clearly failed experiment of a schedule be allowed continue? I more than most on the forum was giving it time. But honestly, this just isn't good enough anymore. All shows down BoB and YoY again. It hasn't worked Dan. Someone needs to be brave enough to admit that.

Today FM
    Troubling times for Anton I'd say. He's lost around 50,000 listeners since taking over. It doesn't seem to be bottoming out. You'd imagine he'll maybe get one or two more books at least, but I can't see it improving.
    Fair play to Fergal D'Arcy though for stopping the slide in the 2:30-4:30 slot. I know he's not popular on the forum, but you can't argue with figures.

NewsTalk
    Someone on the Breakfast thread suggested that you could determine that there's been a big loss for Breakfast based on the net loss of listeners between 7-12, but I'm gonna wait until Q4 to see how things are going.

Bad book for all the nationals except R1 really.

Spotify, or silence. Perhaps they're just turning off the radio. Listenership isn't a zero-sum game.

The total stock of ears can rise or fall, and with the quality diminishing across some stations (Newstalk, most notably), a lot of people are simply turning off the radio.

For example, I don't want to hear George Hook at midday, neither do I want to hear Ronan Collins. I certainly have no interest in Dermot and Dave, or any other middle aged teenagers, for that matter; so the radio now goes quiet at midday.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A 21 year old in the car at 12am at night:

* 2FM has Alternative music on. How many people interested in this type of music tune into 2FM from 12-3 every night? Now fans of alternative genres can get music online 24h a day.

* Spin South West is fulfilling it's ridiculously imposed quota to play Irish music by playing an hour of Irish tunes that aren't deemed popular enough for the playlist

* Live95FM is repeating the morning talk show.

In Cork:

* 2FM as above.

* 96FM in fairness now have voicetracked music between 10pm and 1am where before there was a repeat of the Opinion Line.

* RedFM are repeating Neil Prendeville, which shouldn't be on RedFM to begin with.

This means 90% of people that age who would normally listen to pop music on the above stations either turn the radio off or listen to CD/streaming music. If they have to listen to CD/streaming music at that time it usually affects their listening habits during the day too, meaning they lose interest in radio.

Capital and the like in the UK may not be great due to their butchering of local stations, but the local stations like Juice FM in Liverpool they replaced at least had a consistent sound 24 hours a day. Pop music driven stations like Spin are going to lose listeners when they are broadcasting talk shows, or alternative shows because they are bound to do so by their licence. These massive restrictions on radio stations need to be relaxed if stations are to have a consistent sound and succeed in stopping the decline in listenership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Jaysus that's a scary looking chart.

Given the timespan that those charts cover (and fair play as always to blue4ever for the superb work), I don't think we can pin all the blame for the decline in Radio listening to Spotify and the like. Doubtless Streaming Services are a contributory factor but when you look at the JNLR graphs for how people are getting their music/radio, there is something more going on. Fashion? Formats? Regulation?

Simon

Just a random thought, I wonder have changing habits/practices had some impact?

For example, big crackdown in recent years by IMRO on playing copyrighted audio in public without a license. I know of 3 shops alone in the area where I'm working that used all play various FM radio stations throughout the shop, two have now switched to playing royalty free music (which is truly awful!) whilst the third has just switched the music off altogether.

There's been a massive increase in cycling as a way of commuting in recent years, which, bar a small exception of brave (or perhaps silly!) souls, tend not to have any way of listening to the radio. I'd imagine most radio listening is done during the two commuting windows so every new cyclist commuter is effectively a lost listener.

Availability of WiFi on trains and buses and ever growing 4G coverage, where one might have only had the choice of FM before they now have internet sufficiently capable of streaming spotify or low quality online streams.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Older feature phones and smartphones had FM radios. These days only Sony still have FM as far as I know. That will have had an appreciable impact on commuters - pocket FM radios were popular until phones replaced them and people won't bother going back

Only a minor factor but each minor factor adds up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Motorola have FM radios too.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Good work as ever blue4ever. Would it be possible to get the Off the Ball and Game on figures included though? They're normally there and it's interesting to see how they're doing.

Radio 1
    Bloody 'aul fellas lads. That's the only explanation for Radio 1's popularity. 'Aul lads. :P
    Fair play though. The one takeaway for me is that D'Arcy is still going steady. Building an audience making incremental gains. It'll be fascinating to see if he can capture more of the massive drop-off between himself and Joe Duffy over the coming books.

2FM
    It's all utterly hopeless. Breakfast Republic is down 51,000 listeners since this time last year. Nicky down 32,000. Tracy Clifford down 27,000. How long will this clearly failed experiment of a schedule be allowed continue? I more than most on the forum was giving it time. But honestly, this just isn't good enough anymore. All shows down BoB and YoY again. It hasn't worked Dan. Someone needs to be brave enough to admit that.

Today FM
    Troubling times for Anton I'd say. He's lost around 50,000 listeners since taking over. It doesn't seem to be bottoming out. You'd imagine he'll maybe get one or two more books at least, but I can't see it improving.
    Fair play to Fergal D'Arcy though for stopping the slide in the 2:30-4:30 slot. I know he's not popular on the forum, but you can't argue with figures.

NewsTalk
    Someone on the Breakfast thread suggested that you could determine that there's been a big loss for Breakfast based on the net loss of listeners between 7-12, but I'm gonna wait until Q4 to see how things are going.

Bad book for all the nationals except R1 really.

off_the_ball.jpg

Regarding JNLRs and phones, surely they take into account figures they can easily attain from TunedIn and the Irish Radio Player too?

And if not, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Regarding JNLRs and phones, surely they take into account figures they can easily attain from TunedIn and the Irish Radio Player too?

And if not, why?

It's done by questionnaire isn't it?

Advertisement