Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probability Question

Options
  • 26-10-2016 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

My Grandmother has 6 Great Grand Children - all boys.
    Her next Great Grand Child to be born - what is the probability it will be a girl?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Do we take into account the probability that one of them might be homosexual?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is not really a maths question. If the propensity to bear male children is a genetically heritable trait, then the fact that your grandmother has six male great grandchildren might suggest that she carries this gene and has passed it on to her descendants, and this in turn might suggest that the chance of any great grandchild of hers being male is greater than 50%.

But you'd want to know a lot more. Were her children and her grandchildren disproportionately male? Do all of her descendants carry this gene or only some? Does such a gene even exist at all and, if it does, does she carry it?

You can readily see that these are not maths questions; they are biology questions.

If we adopt a mathematical model in which each birth is taken to be an independent event, then the chance that her next great-grandchild will be a boy is 50%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Yes. I understand that God may play a role, but I was really looking for a "coin toss" type answer. And in the end, the chance of it being a 6 boys 1 girl, is equally as likely as 7 boys. So, 50/50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

learn_more wrote: »
    Do we take into account the probability that one of them might be homosexual?
    You wha'?!

Advertisement