Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do the Irish have such low expectations?

Options
  • 26-10-2016 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

I recently phoned to a relative in America who told me his philosophy in life was to eat (steak) and drink (beer) to his hearts content. Healthy living for this man was a folly because in the end, everyone dies. His business was barely surviving because he spent a lot of his time drinking beer and doing the absolute minimum amount of work.

Having realized the situation, I wrote to him and said that in my experience it pays in the long run to persevere no matter how hopeless the situation appeared to be. I explained that my philosophy was never surrender. Failure, I explained, is impossible provided you refuse to give up. Furthermore, I said "defeat is impossible and victory is inevitable to the tenacious".

A couple of weeks passed before word came back from a third party that my relative was worse than ever. He was drunk at eleven in the morning, cursing everyone he knew and blaming the world for all his misfortunes. Hearing this was a eureka moment for me. It was an epiphany. I realized that the effect my letter had on him was something like this: "Great! I am getting sympathy and attention! I`ll have more of that thank you very much!"

So what did I do? I sent him another letter demanding the repayment of a debt he owes me (which in truth I had given up on). My hope is that the higher expectation will snap him out of his stupor and back to reality.

Extending this to society generally, perhaps what Ireland needs is a good kick up the backside, the abolishment of the minimum wage and the dole. The sacking of the entire public sector and civil service, the ratchetting up of standards, expectations and accountability. After all, these things must come to pass anyway, when the time comes to pay the piper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I recently phoned to a relative in America who told me his philosophy in life was to eat (steak) and drink (beer) to his hearts content. Healthy living for this man was a folly because in the end, everyone dies. His business was barely surviving because he spent a lot of his time drinking beer and doing the absolute minimum amount of work.

Having realized the situation, I wrote to him and said that in my experience it pays in the long run to persevere no matter how hopeless the situation appeared to be. I explained that my philosophy was never surrender. Failure, I explained, is impossible provided you refuse to give up. Furthermore, I said "defeat is impossible and victory is inevitable to the tenacious".

A couple of weeks passed before word came back from a third party that my relative was worse than ever. He was drunk at eleven in the morning, cursing everyone he knew and blaming the world for all his misfortunes. Hearing this was a eureka moment for me. It was an epiphany. I realized that the effect my letter had on him was something like this: "Great! I am getting sympathy and attention! I`ll have more of that thank you very much!"

So what did I do? I sent him another letter demanding the repayment of a debt he owes me (which in truth I had given up on). My hope is that the higher expectation will snap him out of his stupor and back to reality.

Extending this to society generally, perhaps what Ireland needs is a good kick up the backside, the abolishment of the minimum wage and the dole. The sacking of the entire public sector and civil service, the ratchetting up of standards, expectations and accountability. After all, these things must come to pass anyway, when the time comes to pay the piper.

It sound like your letter had nothing to do with his already spiraling out of control life. Dono why you think it had any influence at all. And your follow up letter will just be another everyone is against me reaction most likely.

What your suggesting would be a complete disaster. Yes goodbye to the biggest employer in the country. Goodbye government. Goodbye basically everything you currently take for granted. Time to stock on weapons and lock down the house as civil disobedience takes over since there is nobody to enforce a rule. This doesn't ratchet up standards it brings them to the lowest common denominator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

You have to have the one of the most unsuitable usernames on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Blacktie. wrote: »
    What your suggesting would be a complete disaster. Yes goodbye to the biggest employer in the country. Goodbye government. Goodbye basically everything you currently take for granted. Time to stock on weapons and lock down the house as civil disobedience takes over since there is nobody to enforce a rule. This doesn't ratchet up standards it brings them to the lowest common denominator.
    I did exaggerate slightly. Obviously the Army and Gardai would need to be retained as would revenue but this would be to maintain control. If an economic collapse led to civil disobedience and lawlessness, chances are the Gardai would be too busy protecting their own homes to protect anyone else`s. So the idea is to preempt this scenario by letting it happen before it happens but in a controlled way.

For example, soup kitchens and dormitories in marquees should replace the dole and social housing grants. This is not wanton cruelty, far from it. What concerns me most is this, if the government loses control of the economy, even something as basic as soup and sleeping space in a marquee will be impossible to provide. In recent times, middle class families in Greece, Venezuela and Argentina have had to search for food in rubbish dumps.

Why is it so hard for people to understand the need to demand less to prevent catastrophe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I did exaggerate slightly. Obviously the Army and Gardai would need to be retained as would revenue but this would be to maintain control. If an economic collapse led to civil disobedience and lawlessness, chances are the Gardai would be too busy protecting their own homes to protect anyone else`s. So the idea is to preempt this scenario by letting it happen before it happens but in a controlled way.

For example, soup kitchens and dormitories in marquees should replace the dole and social housing grants. This is not wanton cruelty, far from it. What concerns me most is this, if the government loses control of the economy, even something as basic as soup and sleeping space in a marquee will be impossible to provide. In recent times, middle class families in Greece, Venezuela and Argentina have had to search for food in rubbish dumps.

Why is it so hard for people to understand the need to demand less to prevent catastrophe?

This is from the realitykeeper. What chance do we have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

This may be better discussed elsewhere, Conspiracy theories for example.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

In before the lock takes effect :D

You're blaming your American friend for looking for attention. What do you think your OP is all about ?

That's a rhetorical ? BTW.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement