Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Family Saloon, Passat or i40 (or Mazda 6?)

Options
  • 25-10-2016 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi there,

In the market for a 3/4 year old family saloon. I'm not gone on the Mondeo, Insignia and Avensis. Have narrowed it down to i40, Passat or left field a Mazda 6. I imagine the safe bet is the Passat (2.0 diesel)? Seeing more and more Hyundai's on the road so they must be doing something right. The Mazda a rarer breed, why so I wonder? Nearest dealer to me is 40 miles so perhaps I shouldn't consider them.

So the i40 or Passat? i40 a little easier on the pocket probably but will be aiming to drive this car for 5 or so years doing about 20k a year so I'm willing to spend a little more if needs be.

Is the Passat the no brainer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Honda Accord or Skoda Superb also worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mazda is a nice car with good gadgets feels a bit sporty to drive, probably the most powerful of the ones you listed. Friend has had to and loves them, was a Toyota man.
    i40 I'm not to gone on, just don't feel it's weighty enough.
    Passat is a Passat not a lot to say (yawn, nice car though in fairness to it). Do you need space if so the skoda superb is worth a look, basically a giant Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Wouldn't be a huge fan of the Superb looks wise. I know that's not the most important thing but I do have to look at it every day!

I've read good things about the latest Mazda 6 but somewhat tempered by doubts over reliability and service. Beautiful looking car but very few of them about for whatever reason..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I think that's because the Mazda diesel has a lot of problems with dpf and stretched timing chains and oil leaks. I don't think these problems have been totally gotten rid of with the new skyactive engine either. If you have a mechanic friend have a chat and do lots of research. It could save you a lot of money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Kia Optima worth a look too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,146 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, Kia Optima is mechanically the same car as the i40 except it's generally better equipped and has the more powerful version of the 1.7 diesel engine.

For example:

media?xwm=y&id=59aecff2-b71a-477b-98fa-7dcc990b5a1c&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/KIA/Optima/1.7-Diesel/6156935076067014183/

Advertisement