Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One dish and two receivers - lots of head scratching

Options
  • 25-10-2016 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Basically, my parents have two satellite boxes (ones bought from Lidl probably 10 years ago at this stage) being fed from the one 60cm dish a dual LNB and two outputs and cables.

It worked flawlessly for years (UK freesat Astra 19.2) but then one the boxes failed. I replaced it with a spare but now:

- New receiver works fine but other existing receiver blinks on and off
    - I replaced the LNB with a new one but same problem
    - When I unplug either receiver the other works fine

Possible problems
    - Old "working" receiver is also faulty
    - New LNB is faulty (unlikely)
    - Something else I haven't thought of...

Ive no idea whats going on. Maybe I should just put up another 60cm dish beside the existing one and have two separate systems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

No reason to put up another dish, a single dish will suffice with a working LNB and receivers.

The common link between the 2 receivers is the LNB. My first guess would be a faulty LNB, as both receivers work separately when connected to the LNB.

Have you checked the connections at the ends of each cable to ensure they are properly made?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Have u power turned on for on for lnb on both receivers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

One dish with a quad lnb can run up to four boxes from this as you have 4 channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Basically, my parents have two satellite boxes (ones bought from Lidl probably 10 years ago at this stage) being fed from the one 60cm dish a dual LNB and two outputs and cables.

It worked flawlessly for years (UK freesat Astra 19.2) but then one the boxes failed. I replaced it with a spare but now:

- I replaced the LNB with a new one but same problem
    - When I unplug either receiver the other works fine

Possible problems
    - Old "working" receiver is also faulty
    - New LNB is faulty (unlikely)
    - Something else I haven't thought of...

Ive no idea whats going on. Maybe I should just put up another 60cm dish beside the existing one and have two separate systems?

UK Freesat is on 28.2E, not 19.2E which is Astra 1 for German station etc.

I assume in the LNB setup for each receiver that you have it setup as a simple configuration of LNB1 in each case and do not have diseqc setting turned on looking to both connect to port 1. Because thats what it sounds like you have done from your description. Turn off diseqc mode on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

hatchman wrote: »
    Have u power turned on for on for lnb on both receivers ?

tried with power on on both receivers and on on just each one with the other one off but no difference.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    UK Freesat is on 28.2E, not 19.2E which is Astra 1 for German station etc.

I assume in the LNB setup for each receiver that you have it setup as a simple configuration of LNB1 in each case and do not have diseqc setting turned on looking to both connect to port 1. Because thats what it sounds like you have done from your description. Turn off diseqc mode on both.

cool, ill try that. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... I replaced it with a spare but now:

Just the picture & sound going on & off, like it's losing signal? It's not like the box is actually powering on & off?

Thurston? wrote: »
    Just the picture & sound going on & off, like it's losing signal? It's not like the box is actually powering on & off?

Yip, box No.1 powers on and off when it and box no.2 are connected to the lnb. if i unscrew the cable out of box no.2 then box no.1 is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I've seen that 'blinking on & off' before (Lidl box), presumably fault with the power supply section of the receiver. (Though opening it up didn't reveal anything obvious, like bulging capacitors.)

I'm not sure why 2 receivers would interact in this way, but looks like at least 1 of them must have problems in this area.

Advertisement