Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A grown-up conversation

Options
  • 25-10-2016 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭

I want to raise the age old discussion, but don't want to open it up to the world so have kept the title non-descriptive. I know it's been done to death, but still relevant...

What is the perception of tattoos and piercings in the workplace in Ireland. I've been living in the Middle East for the past 6 years & I've never noticed any problems with it throughout the various cultures I've encountered - there's a broad variety of cultures and nationalities here, obviously the majority being Arab/Muslim. It's not unusual to see visible sleeves, neck or head tattoos. Piercing is less prevalent, but I haven't noticed any discrimination.

Personally, I have long hair, a beard, a couple of studs in my ear and tattoo's that aren't visible in normal work cloths, but are visible if I chose not to wear socks or wear a t-shirt... & I'm wondering what way I'd be perceived by employers if I ever return to Ireland? I do work in a creative industry... i recently went for an interview here and considered (momentarily) cutting my hair, taking out my earrings and taking off wrist jewelry etc... in hindsight I'm glad I didn't.

I have to presume that attitudes are changing back home and that there'd be a similar attitude, but that's just anecdotal...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hard to say, it'll entirely depend on the company, and those making the decisions, and their openness to such things, or lack thereof.

I know where I work, I never deal with customers/the public, yet have to wear shirt, tie and trousers at all times. You can guess their attitude to visible tattoos/piercings.

More creative places would probably have a more open attitude, so your experience may vary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

In most modern work places I'd say you'd get stranger looks for not wearing socks than having tattoo's or piercings :)

In saying that a lot of places I've worked (insurance and finance) I've noticed people with tattoos generally have them covered or are able to cover them during the working day. In your industry it may be looked on differently as you say it's creative. I personally still believe that face and hand tattoos should only be on tattoo artists and wouldn't hire anyone with them, even if it was for a no. Customer facing role as I feel it shows poor judgement on there part

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

In most modern work places I'd say you'd get stranger looks for not wearing socks than having tattoo's or piercings :)

Hey Man... don't be diss'n my buzz...

400008.jpg

*thats not me... I'm much handsomer than that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

To be honest, I wouldn't have an issue hiring anyone with visible tattoos in my business, but genuinely and surprisingly have never had a heavily tattoo'd candidate.

However, I do respect good decision making and my work requires a good eye for detail and an ability to achieve quality results, so a possible candidate should display those attributes through their attire and self presentation... I may end up in a situation whereby I could possibly not hire someone for having ill considered tattoos... That could be for a number of reasons: poor execution; poor or disrespectful content; bad design... But not just for the reason of having tattoos or piercings etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Star Lord wrote: »
    Hard to say, it'll entirely depend on the company, and those making the decisions, and their openness to such things, or lack thereof.

I know where I work, I never deal with customers/the public, yet have to wear shirt, tie and trousers at all times. You can guess their attitude to visible tattoos/piercings.

More creative places would probably have a more open attitude, so your experience may vary!

Could not have put it better than the above.

I have worked in the banking sector with arm tattoo's and hand tattoo's. I met one person whom asked me to get long sleeve shirts to which I asked why? She never answered. In fact most customers I meet committed kindly and never once had I a negative comment ranging from fellow staff all the way to the CEO of the company. I even had a rather long beard and again, as long as your a nice person it never seemed to cause an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I work in the public sector and have never had any issues with mine. Didn't have them when I started and have worked my way up while building the tattoos up too. None on hands or above collar but 2 sleeves and when I run at lunch people in the office see the ones on my legs. Never really brought up and hasn't held me back. I'd work with the public too and have never had any problems there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Glitter

I work in the NGO sector and haven't ever had a problem. All my really big ones are on my legs so I just wear dark tights to public work events but in fairness, no one in work has ever actually asked me to do that.

In the height of summer I often just wear a dress and jacket and no tights to the office and have never had boo said to me.

I also have a little dainty one behind my ear and I always wear my (very long) hair up at work events so it's always on display then but have never had a comment.

I have a good few other female friends who have small wrist tattoos that are always visible and they've never had a problem with those being visible either.

So many people have ink now, I don't think it's much of an issue unless you're in a very traditional corporate setting.

Advertisement