Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras mounted on 60KPM sign city by pass road opposite golf course heading to UHW

Options
  • 25-10-2016 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi I noticed two cameras mounted to the 60 KM/h sign this morning while driving towards the hospital. What looks like a portable battery pack etc is on the footpath assumingly powering the cameras and recording data. The cameras are at two heights; one low enough for number plates and the other at at windscreen height.

Anyone else notice these or know what their purpose is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

There's also a camera mounted outside McDonald's, Cork Road, facing towards the city.
    Noticed it this morning, a battery pack chained to the street lighting pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

beazee wrote: »
    There's also a camera mounted outside McDonald's, Cork Road, facing towards the city.
    Noticed it this morning, a battery pack chained to the street lighting pole.

Saw a battery pack chained to a pole on the Dunmore road this morning to. NRA or somebody must be doing a traffic survey of the city. Maybe it has something to do with the proposed new bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

There's lots of them on the approaches to the city on the Ferrybank / Bridge Side.

Is the council actually for a change doing a traffic survey before they think up their next traffic limiting plan ?
    Waterford City and County Council are currently undertaking a traffic survey at various locations in Waterford city.

The equipment for this consists of a CCTV camera attached to a pole, with a battery pack in a black case at the base of the pole.

We would like to reassure the people who reported these to the Gardaí, they are not roadside bombs

https://waterfordcouncilnews.wordpress.com/2016/10/25/council-currently-undertaking-traffic-survey/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

QXws9td.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

BBM77 wrote: »
    Saw a battery pack chained to a pole on the Dunmore road this morning to. NRA or somebody must be doing a traffic survey of the city. Maybe it has something to do with the proposed new bridge.

to be fair....There is no purposed bridge just nebulous wishful thinking.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    to be fair....There is no purposed bridge just nebulous wishful thinking.

What are you talking about? The council are working on plans for a new bridge which will be made public soon. Is that not a purposed bridge?

I bet it will get funding to, which is what I assume you are alluding to. The government has no problem giving funding for things like this when it suits on the run up to an election. It will suit their crony builders also. This is how the Irish government has treated Waterford over the years. They will spend ½ a billion euros to build a road around Waterford but will not spend anything to upgrade WIT to a full university, give the regional hospital a fair like for like level of funding and pay to put a roof over a street so drunk people won’t get wet. So at time when people here are literally dying because the government won’t spend a couple of million, if it would even cost that much, to provide 24 hour cardiac care based on their logic to date they will probably come along now and spend millions on a new bridge. That is the reality of politics in Ireland.

BBM77 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? The council are working on plans for a new bridge which will be made public soon. Is that not a purposed bridge?

I bet it will get funding to, which is what I assume you are alluding to. The government has no problem giving funding for things like this when it suits on the run up to an election. It will suit their crony builders also. This is how the Irish government has treated Waterford over the years. They will spend ½ a billion euros to build a road around Waterford but will not spend anything to upgrade WIT to a full university, give the regional hospital a fair like for like level of funding and pay to put a roof over a street so drunk people won’t get wet. So at time when people here are literally dying because the government won’t spend a couple of million, if it would even cost that much, to provide 24 hour cardiac care based on thestand corrected if I see some sort of drawings soon.ir logic to date they will probably come along now and spend millions on a new bridge. That is the reality of politics in Ireland.

Hey BBM, I'm not getting on to you,i just think....Are they working on actual design or just hopeful talk .would be good if something concrete was happening but until I see something more than somebody mentioning hypothetical locations or even a red line scrawled across a map near kings channel area in a council meeting, I'm unconvinced.would think they better off trying to get something built on north quays like pedestrian bridge and office space.

Hey BBM, I'm not getting on to you,i just think....Are they working on actual design or just hopeful talk .would be good if something concrete was happening but until I see something more than somebody mentioning hypothetical locations or even a red line scrawled across a map near kings channel area in a council meeting, I'm unconvinced.would think they better off trying to get something built on north quays like pedestrian bridge and office space.

Not sure about design but they are definitely working in the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I'm unconvinced.would think they better off trying to get something built on north quays like pedestrian bridge and office space.

Hang on Max! You can't be serious!!!

We don't have the roads to accommodate any more traffic since WCC reduced the capacity or flow of traffic on our Quays and now with Bilberry being made a one way and 'plans' for a new bridge that are probably 20 years down the road it will all just come to a stand still!

The city needs to expand beyond its current borders and I don't mean annexing South Kilkenny but westward encouraging more investment in to the county. Move Bus Eireann in its entirety from its present locations to the site of the glass factory! You have already a site that is more then capable of coping with all of the BE fleet and room for more.

This to begin with would reduce bus congestion in the city by redirecting all intercity bus traffic across the toll bridge and encourage more use of city services by placing BE in high student and residential areas. That would open up the north quays with loads of space for a new bridge along with the new 'proposed' entity.

If you don't ask, you won't receive!!!

We don't have the roads to accommodate any more traffic since WCC reduced the capacity or flow of traffic on our Quays and now with Bilberry being made a one way and 'plans' for a new bridge that are probably 20 years down the road it will all just come to a stand still!

The city needs to expand beyond its current borders and I don't mean annexing South Kilkenny but westward encouraging more investment in to the county. Move Bus Eireann in its entirety from its present locations to the site of the glass factory! You have already a site that is more then capable of coping with all of the BE fleet and room for more.

This to begin with would reduce bus congestion in the city by redirecting all intercity bus traffic across the toll bridge and encourage more use of city services by placing BE in high student and residential areas. That would open up the north quays with loads of space for a new bridge along with the new 'proposed' entity.

There is nothing wrong with the location of Bus Eireann. It brings people from the surrounding areas right into the city centre. Moving Bus Eireann out to the old glass factory site would only suit students and they only come for 24 weeks in the year. If there is a problem it is the general one that the changes to the Quay were very badly designed and are not fit for the reality of traffic in Waterford. The fact that the council are suddenly pushing to get another bridge now is an acknowledgement of this.

• Advertisement

Of course I'm serious, pedestrian bridge would reduce traffic and offices for jobs, which yes would probably mean some more traffic, happy to take it if it meant jobs,best for city centre.
    Simply don't agree with moving bus station to old glass site, bus stops, like train stops need to be in the city centre so i don't think you would have much support for that.
    We do have the roads, first off, Waterford does not have a significant traffic problem, we have some delays at rush hours but not as bad as people in other cities, sure it would be great if we had near zero delays but that's never going to happen anywhere.secondly the bypass is underutilized, people who live in ferrybank, south kk, New Ross could be using that more if heading in cork road direction and opposite direction too for m9.judging from previous threads on this a lot of the city centre traffic is thru traffic, unavoidable if heading to UHW but others avoidable and adds nothing to city centre.

Advertisement