Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car crime not been reported?

Options
  • 24-10-2016 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭

yesterday a load of cars on my road were vandalized with up to a dozen cars having windows smashed and my mother's convertible roof been slashed.

Very rare occurrence as the area is normally very quiet. I was talking to a few of the owners and nearly all of them said that they wont report it to the guards as they are worried about their insurance going up even further or not been able to get insurance renewed if they do so.

I reported it to my local station and they said that only one person reported that their car was done.

Is it getting to the point that people wont report car crime because they are scared of been screwed further by the insurance companies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I don't see why a premium would go up unless you claimed off your policy.The guards aren't going to contact insurances companies.To be honest my own car was broken into years ago,I gave a statement to the guards.Nothing came of it,nobody was charged.I can see how apathy creeps in with reporting smaller crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

EEK, over 2500 to replace my mothers convertible hood,

Her insurance has already gone from 600 to 1800(Best price) in 2 years without any claims so no chance of claiming it on the insurance or it will be astronomical next year if i can even get it. :(

Damn scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Insurance will go up regardless of whether the claim was your fault or not.
    Just because you have a no claims bonus, doesn't mean you are claims free.
    I was refused cover because I claimed for a flippin windscreen!

I'd hesitate to call the Garda as well. Squeezing TV license evaders into jail is more their line of work. They'd never bother going after someone who vandalised a car, too much work.

Reporting it will achieve nothing. However, report your local shop for selling a bottle of wine at 10.01 PM and they'd send out two squad cars and break the doors down of the shop to drag the owner out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Skatedude wrote: »
    yesterday a load of cars on my road were vandalized with up to a dozen cars having windows smashed and my mother's convertible roof been slashed.

Very rare occurrence as the area is normally very quiet. I was talking to a few of the owners and nearly all of them said that they wont report it to the guards as they are worried about their insurance going up even further or not been able to get insurance renewed if they do so.

I reported it to my local station and they said that only one person reported that their car was done.

Is it getting to the point that people wont report car crime because they are scared of been screwed further by the insurance companies?

Apart from increasing the unsolved crime statistics what will reporting it to the Gardaí achieve? They aren't going to investigate and even if the culprits are caught a slap on the wrist is the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

dfeo wrote: »
    I'd hesitate to call the Garda as well. Squeezing TV license evaders into jail is more their line of work. They'd never bother going after someone who vandalised a car, too much work.

Reporting it will achieve nothing. However, report your local shop for selling a bottle of wine at 10.01 PM and they'd send out two squad cars and break the doors down of the shop to drag the owner out.

Yes because the above happens. Get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I did report it as whoever it was vandalizing the cars and local shops was carrying a large sharp blade judging by the damage done to cars, signs etc. Wasn't just a stone picked up at random

The guard didn't bother to take any details and recommended i send a letter to the local supervisor instead.

Advertisement