Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic lights at the end of Patrick Street

Options
  • 24-10-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

These have been off now for ages, I mean surely by now they could get on top of it and fix it, its a disgrace. I have tried contacting the Council three times this week to get an update and nobody seems to know whats going on. :mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

Dont ever fix them, there is no traffic holdups there now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

ei9go wrote: »

Its not worth it though, too many people dashing over the road, not knowing what the lights system is, then you have lots of near misses with people trying to turn right when traffic is dashing up Patrick Street. A Council worth anything would have fixed this well before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

ei9go wrote: »

Exactly.

Few pedestrian crossing maybe. Its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Saw them putting up a new pole outside Claire's today. Maybe related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Exactly.

Few pedestrian crossing maybe. Its great.

You mean until someone is killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Max Powers wrote: »
    You mean until someone is killed.

Where does personal responsibility end? We cant treat every one like f#%kin morons and coral people.

Do parents still teach kids the safe cross code?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Where does personal responsibility end? We cant treat every one like f#%kin morons and coral people.

Traffic lights are nothing to do with personal responsibility - except to the extent that you can choose to jay-walk - they are about making life easier for everyone, even if it does slow things down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Totally agree. Everything moved so much smoother without the lights working.
    I had complained to the council about the delay at them the week before they went off. Traffic backed up as far back as High St and only letting 3 cars at a time through. No sensor in place so even in the middle of the night you could spend minutes sitting at a red light.

ei9go wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

But that is encouraging chaos! You may as well say no traffic lights are needed anywhere because people should just use their best decision at the time- crashes would quadruple overnight, there needs to be a system to control flow at such a busy intersection. Even taking cars out of the equation, the amount of times I have seem pedestrians looking confused at that corner whilst cars decide who is going to turn, then they chance crossing and I have seen a good few near misses, Its only a matter of time before someone is hurt.

It just isn't safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

They are back working now...

There is a theory in urban planning that there should be much fewer traffic lights. They only cause congestion and do little for safety on many types of junctions. This is one article I found.

http://www.citylab.com/cityfixer/2015/04/4-reasons-to-remove-traffic-lights-in-the-era-of-peak-driving/390375/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Thank god they are back working, was an accident waiting to happen when those lights were not working, that's my route I take to work every week and have seen alot of near misses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Irish people need to be treated like morons otherwise you will have what I regularly saw at those lights, speeding cars coming from 2 directions and a complete lack of common sense , courtesy and awareness by drivers .kids are still thought the safe cross code but kids are kids, and people are too stupid to think...No lights ahead, maybe i should keep it below 50 and proceed with caution, especially since in city centre.

Advertisement