Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team talks

Options
  • 24-10-2016 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Nabbed this from SI forums but I use it and it's definitely the best I found:

TEAM TALKS

Tone: Assertive (professional)

Before Match: I generally go with whatever the assistant advises here, except, never ask for revenge or anything to do with the media. like prove a point, stay away from all that, if ass man advises this, just do an encouraging one instead, but tend to stick with anything to do with, go out there and impress me, show me what you can do.... stay away from reminding them about keeping the run going if you can. Just encourage, another good one, if you won your last game, is go out there and carry straight on from where you left off last time out, or carry on from the last time, or for the fans, so lets give the performance the fans are expecting, if ass man advises that. if its a derby, give it all the passion.. with the for the fans, otherwise just stick to assertive...

NEVER ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE MEDIA

NEVER ANYTHING TO DO WITH SHOWING THE WORLD HOW GOOD YOU ARE, OR PROVING A POINT OR GETTING REVENGE. - The players will just think you are some kind of lunatic just released from broadmoor or something.. :lol:

After this, never listen to the assistant at all....

Try not to make any substitutions before half time. but if someone is 6.3 or below, I normally substitute them straight away, no more than one sub at the most before half time, also take a look at anyone on a yellow card, combined with a 6.5 or below, take him off, the other thing to look for, if someone has caused the opposition to score, like fouling and give away a penalty, take him off, its clearly not his day!

but mainly you want to get to half time not making any subs at all, and never more than 1

HALF TIME:

If Losing by 3 goals or more

Tone: Aggressive... I expect to see a much better performance in the second half --- or -- Show me something else in the second half

If losing by 2 goals or less

Tone: Assertive... I expect to see a much better performance in the second half --- or -- Show me something else in the second half

If Drawing

Tone: Assertive... You have been unlucky or Unlucky Boys, Things just having gone right for us so far..

If Winning by 1 Goal

Tone: Assertive... Don't get complacent or We must avoid complacency, Don't think the job is done - there may be other variations, but stick to these two...

If winning by 2 goals or more Assertive... I'm very happy with how things are going --- I'm very pleased with your performance so far. keep it up!

Any player on 6.5. or below comes off, or any player who gets any injury comes off straight away either before or after half time...... any player on a 9.0 by half time, passionate, im very pleased with your performance so far.

FULL TIME:

if lose the game by 3 goals or more:

Tone: Aggressive: ... Not good enough, that is the sort of match we should be winning, im very disappointed with that performance.

if lose the game by 2 goals or less

Tone: Assertively: ... Not good enough, that is the sort of match we should be winning, im very disappointed with that performance.

If draw the game

Assertively: ... You have been unlucky, unlucky boys anyone on 9.0 or more, Passionate. I am very pleased with your performance.

If win by 6 goals

Passionate.... I am very happy with your performance today. No individual talks at all

If win by 3 goals

Assertively.. I am very happy with your performance today... anyone on 9.0 or more, Passionate. I am very pleased with your performance.

If win by 1 to 2 goals

Assertively.. A Good win boys, well done... anyone on 9.0 or more, Passionate. I am very pleased with your performance.

Stick to this, don't deviate from this at all, no matter what the ass man says, and no matter what happened. so even if you draw and you think they were awful, still tell them they were unlucky.... so yeah sometime the ass man will try to say to be negative, don't do it, encourage the boys, keep the spirits up for the next game.... your the manager, listen that is why they are not managers!!!!

If on the rare occasion any player reacts, half time, pre team talk or full time in a negative manner. just encourage them, something like i have faith in you,,, your playing well but still room for improvement. a good trick is if half time and they are on 7.0 or below and they react negatively sometimes e.g. to don't be complacent... just say assertively im not happy with your performance so far, that will fire them up or motivate them... if its above 7.0 i generally go for i have faith or show me what you can do, and if its 8 or more, ill tell them i happy with their performance, if still negative, just keep an eye on that player and if form starts to dip. take them off.

remember to spread your substitution out over the course of the game, ideally i do 2 around the 60 minute mark and one on 75... look for body language, if all players good, but one looks complacent, don't wait for a mistake, take that dude off.... another one is looking uninterested. take him off if this is his body language...

Never do any talks mid game or when subbing players, players are motivated enough just coming on a sub because they want to get in the team.

Players cant hear you from the touchline, they will think you are mad and are talking to yourself, it also shows nerves, that you need to talk to them, let them play, they have enough of you at pre team, half time and full time, they don't want you filling their heads in between with nonsense jargon...

they have enough to think about trying to play the game. i never use in game talks.

Advertisement