Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap internet camera

Options
  • 24-10-2016 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

*** See third post for some possible security issues ***

IP camera with remote access, ability to move remotely controlled, night vision. It connects to Internet using WiFi and is powered by USB:

www.banggood.com/Digoo-BB-M2-Mini-WiFi-Camera-USB-Wireless-IP-CAM-Home-Security-HD-720P-RTSP-PTZ-Audio-Onvif-p-1097872.html

I have BB-M1 which is probably previous generation. There are following problems:
    - servers are in China so WAN connection is slow and very lagged
    - picture quality is not great in poor lightning and it switchets to night vision quite late
    - app is terrible
    - sound quality is poor with built-in microphone and speakers

On other hand for 15 Euro as long as you know what you pay for it is good deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I posted the BB-M1 in the Aliexpress thread this morning... the BB-M1 is more expensive than this so seems strange that it's previous generation. Think the BB-M1 is pretty damn good to be honest...

I will agree that the app is woeful though - though plenty of better third-party apps you can use with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Just a note of caution as these cheap ip cameras are prone to malware infestation because of poor software security.

Recent DDOS attacks were attributed to such devices....

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/internet-down-dyn-october-2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Basq wrote: »
    I will agree that the app is woeful though - though plenty of better third-party apps you can use with it.

How to find those?

I agree for a price M1 is great, and M2 seems to be better (IR) and cheaper.

Good point degsi, I will update first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

September1 wrote: »
    How to find those?

I agree for a price M1 is great, and M2 seems to be better (IR) and cheaper.

Good point degsi, I will update first post.

Do i need this kind of plug to power it?

http://www.banggood.com/Universal-5V-2A-3-Ports-EU-UK-Plug-USB-Wall-Charger-Power-Adapter-For-iPhone-Smartphones-p-1031136.html?rmmds=search

^ Presuming it's like the M1, it's a USB connection you'll get so any plug with a USB connection will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"servers are in China..."

"Recent DDOS attacks were attributed to such devices...."

I, for one, welcome our new overlords. :eek: :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

This app is great for these cameras, been using it for a few years, there's a free version too:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alexvas.dvr.pro&hl=en

Blade wrote: »
    This app is great for these cameras, been using it for a few years, there's a free version too:
    Yep, trying to get this working with the M1 at the minute but IP address isn't obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Anyone that uses IP cameras need to change the default password.

There is a website that posts links to unsecured IP cams. Using default passwords mean anyone can check your IP cam .

Kenjataimu wrote: »

There is a website that posts links to unsecured IP cams. Using default passwords mean anyone can check your IP cam .
    Gotta pay my bills somehow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Kenjataimu wrote: »

The real issue around botnets is that many of these devices have telnet or ssh access and the passwords for these services are hard coded in the firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

stimpson wrote: »
    The real issue around botnets is that many of these devices have telnet or ssh access and the passwords for these services are hard coded in the firmware.

If this is the case then a firewall is a solution, though most users would not be familiar with the technology. Still advisable to change the default password.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, trying to get this working with the M1 at the minute but IP address isn't obvious.

I added two IP's to this app, one for the Internal IP that you need if you want to look at the camera while on the same network and the External IP while I'm out of the house. I only put the camera on when we're not at home, so they can look at an empty house all they want. AFAIK they can't tell where it is anyway!

That's a great price for that camera Basq, and importantly below the VAT threshold. Are you having problems setting it up for external viewing? Can't remember how I set mine up initially, but it was a bit of a pain in the arse as I didn't know what I was doing. I might buy a couple of these if they're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Blade wrote: »
    That's a great price for that camera Basq, and importantly below the VAT threshold....

Good price alright, but just be aware its currently "Available on Pre-Order Stock due to arrive on November 22 2016" so you probably won't get it in time for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Xiaomi Yi security webcam is on sale on Lightinthebox for roughly 25. Not as cheap as the one in the OP, but it seems to be a very good product, and would also have a much better app to use with it.
    You must use the code to get the price down - YIIPCCOUPON
    Realistically, the normal price is around 32 (Banggood, Aliexpress etc.)
    so the coupon is around 7.
    lightinthebox[dot]com/xiaomi-yi-smart-camera-night-vision-mini-wifi-remote-access-ip-camera_p5345052[dot]html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I see Euro giant stores are selling these cameras now. €50. Spotted them in my local one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Suckit wrote: »
    The Xiaomi Yi security webcam is on sale on Lightinthebox for roughly 25. Not as cheap as the one in the OP, but it seems to be a very good product, and would also have a much better app to use with it.
    You must use the code to get the price down - YIIPCCOUPON
    Realistically, the normal price is around 32 (Banggood, Aliexpress etc.)
    so the coupon is around 7.
    lightinthebox[dot]com/xiaomi-yi-smart-camera-night-vision-mini-wifi-remote-access-ip-camera_p5345052[dot]html

Was almost ready to pull the trigger on this on Ali, €55 with 32Gb SD. Got all that for €38 thanks to yourself! Just have to put up with green instead of black.
    Can always paint it I suppose.....
    (Goes off and buys €20 tin of paint)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

dos29 wrote: »
    Was almost ready to pull the trigger on this on Ali, €55 with 32Gb SD. Got all that for €38 thanks to yourself! Just have to put up with green instead of black.
    Can always paint it I suppose.....
    (Goes off and buys €20 tin of paint)

Where do you enter the promo code

Where do you enter the promo code

Had the same issue, took me a while to spot it.
    Just below the picture of the camera in the checkout section, look for "Got a coupon?" or something similar.

"We are extremely sorry that we will have to cancel this order and arrange a full refund for you instead."
    Fuppin Baxtards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

dos29 wrote: »
    "We are extremely sorry that we will have to cancel this order and arrange a full refund for you instead."
    Fuppin Baxtards!

I cancelled my order with them and requested a refund last week. the estimated shipping date came and went with no communication. I contacted them and they said it was delayed and gave me €4 temporary credit. Then they came back a few days later and said it would be delayed with no ETA and offered me some random camera instead. No mention of any of this when they took my order and money on 26th October. Useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

After they took my order i did not receive any email at all except confirmation.
    dos29 post came up in my email so i checked it. When i emailed them i got no reply, so last night i got on to their livechat. They said that it is a reliable seller and that they did not expect the amount of buyers from Europe. They are trying to meet orders and will do so under their guidelines.
    I do not really care what that means but i was told that i can accept a refund - or a coupon for the delay. I googled the camera and it is discontinued or else it is in low production trying to bring the next model in. So i took the coupon and will wait :)
    Although i am unhappy, as it may be after christmas at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone spotted a weatherproof outdoor version ?

Motorola one in Argos reduced to €47.

Lidl have a TP-Link one for €25 as part of their Black Friday sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I received mine in the post this morning

I cant get it working remotely, it works fine when im using my own wifi but when i leave it goes off. Anyone have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭leinster93

I received mine in the post this morning

I cant get it working remotely, it works fine when im using my own wifi but when i leave it goes off. Anyone have this issue?

You are viewing the camera from outside your home network. Therefore the ip address (local ip address) you assigned to the camera is not recognized.
    This may give a better explanation http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/how-to-setup-a-webcam-and-access-it-from-anywhere/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

leinster93 wrote: »
    You are viewing the camera from outside your home network. Therefore the ip address (local ip address) you assigned to the camera is not recognized.
    This may give a better explanation http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/how-to-setup-a-webcam-and-access-it-from-anywhere/

I have two colleagues in the office who have a camera different to myself who are having the same issue. They can view it at home but not when they leave the house. ISPs provide a dynamic IP address so surely this isn't the issue in viewing the cameras?
    I have two I bought from AliExpress and I have no issues with them and am on Virgin.

Has anyone successfully resolved viewing issues with a camera they may have bought? I'd like to try and resolve this for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭leinster93

Could be a port not being opened. http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057486983

• Advertisement
Advertisement