Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android TV Box Problem

Options
  • 24-10-2016 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have an issue with an android box that hopefully someone with more technical knowledge than me could help.

I have an android box in my daughters room and it is connected through our WIFI (which is through Virgin) She just wants it mainly for playing youtube videos. It has a lot of issues with freezing and stopping for long periods. When I check the wifi it is saying the signal strength is 150mbps which i thought was plenty for a device like this (it works on our phones perfectly)

I have purchased a new box thinking there was a fault with the box but it is having the same problem. (I plugged the box in my sitting room through the ethernet cable and it works perfectly)

Any suggestions would be great or if you need further information please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Hi All,

I have an issue with an android box that hopefully someone with more technical knowledge than me could help.

I have an android box in my daughters room and it is connected through our WIFI (which is through Virgin) She just wants it mainly for playing youtube videos. It has a lot of issues with freezing and stopping for long periods. When I check the wifi it is saying the signal strength is 150mbps which i thought was plenty for a device like this (it works on our phones perfectly)

I have purchased a new box thinking there was a fault with the box but it is having the same problem. (I plugged the box in my sitting room through the ethernet cable and it works perfectly)

Any suggestions would be great or if you need further information please let me know.

Whats the signal strength on the wifi? You could use a powerline adapter to bring ethernet to the box rather than use wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭derek2222_ie

i have 240mbps from virgin but when it i go to the settings on the android box and check the wifi signal it is saying excellent and 150mbps.

How does the above work. Would I need to run a cable from one room to another as this would be quite awkward.

Thanks for the reply.

i have 240mbps from virgin but when it i go to the settings on the android box and check the wifi signal it is saying excellent and 150mbps.

How does the above work. Would I need to run a cable from one room to another as this would be quite awkward.

Thanks for the reply.

Could be interferance on the wifi channel you could change it on the virgin router,

You just plug one of them in by your virgin router and run a cable from the router to it and then plug the second in by the android box and run a cable from it to the box. your not running a cable between the plugs so it is much neater

Could be interferance on the wifi channel you could change it on the virgin router,

You just plug one of them in by your virgin router and run a cable from the router to it and then plug the second in by the android box and run a cable from it to the box. your not running a cable between the plugs so it is much neater

How do I go about changing the wifi channel on the router?

That tp link thing looks like a great option. Have you any experience with one? it would be great if it worked. As I said it is only mainly youtube she wants to play videos from.

How do I go about changing the wifi channel on the router?

That tp link thing looks like a great option. Have you any experience with one? it would be great if it worked. As I said it is only mainly youtube she wants to play videos from.

Instruction on channel channel are here. I have never used them myself but they work pretty well, older houses can have issues depending on the quailty of the internal cabling but its rare iv heard of issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Do a speed test through a browser on the android box, WiFi on them be's crap

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

The TP link system works perfectly for me for exactly the same situation.
    I got mine on eBay for about €55 delivered. I got the AV600 model which broadcasts a wifi signal as well as having the Ethernet port, but you can get a cheaper version which doesn't have the wifi.

thanks for the replies. Going to buy one of the tp link adapters now so hopefully that solves the problem.

Can I ask a stupid question, do they come with ethernet cables or would i need to purchase these seperately?

Thanks again for all the help and I will let you know if it works.

thanks for the replies. Going to buy one of the tp link adapters now so hopefully that solves the problem.

Can I ask a stupid question, do they come with ethernet cables or would i need to purchase these seperately?

Thanks again for all the help and I will let you know if it works.

You will have to buy them separately generally they dont come with them

You will have to buy them separately generally they dont come with them

thanks is there any one i will need specifically. there seems to be a lot of different ones on amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Your internet isn't the problem. Most of these Android boxes are a heap of crap. They need updating pretty regularly.

If you are not au fait with trouble shooting them it's just a matter of time before they stop working.

Iv fixed dozens for friends the last few months so I have a good idea what I'm talking about.

It I were you, you should confirm that the internet is not the problem by connecting it straight to the router, this could stop you spending money on homeplugs that aren't needed I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

OK, disregard my post,

Just read you already connected to router, so you could try homeplugs, they should improve situ

eurokev wrote: »
    OK, disregard my post,

Just read you already connected to router, so you could try homeplugs, they should improve situ

Any should do once its cat5 or 6 its more about how long the cables need to be really

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Todd2468

Hi have u any links to reboot them mine come on and MXQ Comes up and then a boot menu but when I press it to boot it won't or reset to factory it like the is Notting in the box to load can anybody help and show how to put filmwear in it easy way possible thanks

Advertisement