Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named Driver Experience & No claims bonus

Options
  • 24-10-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I recently took out a car insurance policy in my own name and after paying the premium realised that I only had proof of one years named driver experience (I didn t realise it had to be consecutive with no breaks at all and had to be whole years to be included I have been driving for 7 years). I ended up having to pay double what I was originally quoted because of these technicalities.
    Now I am looking at switching insurance companies as I would like to buy a Japanese import car but am under the impression that because I took out a policy in my own name I cannot claim for a named driver discount, and because I have not held my current policy for a year yet I will have no no claims discount.
    However, although I have taken out a policy in my own name, I am still the named driver on my mom s policy and it would equate to 2 years on this policy now so I am wondering if anyone knows, is it possible for me to essentially ignore my policy in my own name and insure myself with another company based on two years named driving experience?? I can only make the switch (and buy the fab car) if it s not going to cost a bomb!
    I am new to this insurance thing and have already been having such trouble so would really appreciate any advice/ information !! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You cannot earn named driving experience and have a policy running concurrently in your own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pfx1942

You cannot earn named driving experience and have a policy running concurrently in your own name.

Could you explain why not.
    I have multiple policies in my own name and I am also named driver in my partners policy. She is named driver in all of my policies.

If the original poster is not named driver in her mothers policy and she is not allowed to drive other cars under her own policy, she would be uninsured on the odd occasion when she needs to drive her mothers car.

I have used my named driver experience to start new policies for my cars and I have always declared, that my own no claims is used already to insure another car or cars. So far the insurance companies who first claimed, that I can not use named driver experience to start new policy could not provide any reason why not and allowed me to use named driver experience for discount in the end.

So could you please explain, why you can't have named driver experience and your own policy at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If for example bob started driving his own policy for 1st time, on 26/10/15 and as off yesterday - 1 yr has passed
    At same time , he was named on his mammys policy as 2nd driver.

Bob can only use the 1yr earned in his name as same calendar year.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pfx1942

And what if Bob buys an MX5 for weekend use and keeps his old car for commuting? Does he not have usable named driver experience from mammys car, he could use to insure his weekend car?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Once he declares his daily runner things may change .

• Advertisement
Advertisement