Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulled wine

Options
  • 23-10-2016 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Random question, I know its early but ive had craving for mulled wine lately.... Anybody know where you can find the spice mix for it?....yes im to lazy to make it myself

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

These lads have it in their online store.

http://www.greensaffron.com/shop/spice-mixes/mulled-wine-spice-mix.html

I'm not sure how good they are tho. I've never heard of the brand or shop until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Jude13

I know you may think you are too lazy but I cannot recommend the Jamie Oliver one enough. I have hated every packaged mulled wine I have ever had. But with the Jamie one we guzzled it down, first batch the day we put up the tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

If its any help our Lidl have big bottles of Gluwein, which they label mulled wine.

Had some last year.

9or10 wrote: »
    If its any help our Lidl have big bottles of Gluwein, which they label mulled wine.

Had some last year.

Is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Jude13 wrote: »
    Is it any good?

Yeah. Sorry, I'm suffering a bit of an enthusiasm crisis :o.

I'll buy some again this year. Its very pleasant. Not quite the same as sitting in a gasthof in Sankt Johann but very pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I really like the Lidl Gluhwein! and its a good price.. 5.99 or 6.99 I think! Went mad and bought a rake of bottles last year, few still left, hopefully they are still good haha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

No spice mix needed! Just throw some oranges studded with cloves, and some sticks of cinnamon, into the wine and sugar. Throw in a nutmeg/vanilla pod if you have them, but it will be fine without. And away you go.

Picked up a mulled wine sachet/bag in the BT christmas shop when I was home last week. I will try it and report back to you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I tried the Lidl Mulled wine this year....I normally make it for a function we do at Christmas and someone suggested it might be easier/cheaper to buy it in Lidl. For me, it doesn't compare to my home made stuff, but it is drinkable and none of it will get thrown out!!

I will continue to make my own for my own consumption anyway - its real easy as Mystery Egg says. I just use oranges and lemons studded with cloves and throw in a cinnamon stick and brown sugar. I also add a drop of brandy to mine ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

^^ The drop of brandy makes all the difference :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mulled wine is one of my favourite things about the run up to Christmas, so cosy and warming especially if you're outdoors. Myself and my sister made a batch last Christmas Eve and drank the lot, lol. It was just a sachet that you add to a bottle of red wine in a pot; I'd love to make some more this year. Chuckles30, yours sounds very interesting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Is there much difference in making mulled cider? I had some at the Stephen's Green Christmas market last year and it was lovely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Vojera wrote: »
    Is there much difference in making mulled cider? I had some at the Stephen's Green Christmas market last year and it was lovely.

Yes a lot of mulled wine and cider can be the same Recipe except you're switching the wine with cider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Loughc wrote: »
    Yes a lot of mulled wine and cider can be the same Recipe except you're switching the wine with cider

Jamie Oliver's recipe

Ingredients

2 litres good-quality traditional cider6 cloves3-4 star anise¼ nutmeg , finely grated into the pan1 cinnamon stick1 vanilla pod , halved1 orange , juice of2 clementines , juice of1 pomegranate , juice and seeds of4–5 tablespoons caster sugar

Method

Pour the cider into a large pan on a low heat and let it warm through for a few minutes. Add all the spices and juices and turn the heat up. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and leave to tick away for 5–8 minutes.As everything infuses you’ll get delicious layers of flavour. Taste it and add sugar as you like. You don’t want it sweet; you just want the sugar to join the spices in a harmonious taste. When you’re happy with the flavours, ladle into glasses or mugs and serve warm

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,912 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Can anyone recommend a nice non alcoholic wine and/or cider for mulling? I'm usually the designated driver at most festive events and I really miss the old mulled wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Toots wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a nice non alcoholic wine and/or cider for mulling? I'm usually the designated driver at most festive events and I really miss the old mulled wine.

Not sure if it would be the same for you but cranberry juice is a great alternative to wine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was looking up these the other day, I found a few recipes for festive non alcoholic mulled wine and some mocktails. I'll post the links later when on my pc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Dunnes have bottles of mulled punch. I'm not sure what's in it instead of the wine. Some of them can be very sweet though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I always offer mulled apple juice or mulled grape juice for drivers! It's very easy.

Heat apple juice, cinnamon, star anise and cloves studded into orange and lemon slices until just below simmering, and serve.

Same thing with the grape juice for a non-alcoholic alternative!

Obviously they don't have the alcoholic bite you might want but adding some sharp citrus like lemon or lime juice can take the super-sweet edge off. They're very delicious and warming in any case.

Here are some Christmas mocktails with a non-alcoholic version of each: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/christmas-cocktails-and-mocktails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I don't know where she got it, but a neighbour of mine got a bottle of non-alcoholic red wine when her daughter was pregnant and I made the mulled wine with that for her the same as I would with the regular mulled wine and it tasted very similar from what I remember.

I can't imagine you'll be spoiled for choice of non alcoholic red wines though....so I'd say take what you can find and follow your normal mulled wine recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I can't imagine you'll be spoiled for choice of non alcoholic red wines though....so I'd say take what you can find and follow your normal mulled wine recipe.

Yeah but a bad wine tastes like vinegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Marks and Spencer do a gorgeous NA mulled punch. Their mulled wine is also gorgeous.

I'll be making mulled apple juice.....and adding a sup of jameson to my own mug :P

Made the Fortnum & Mason mulled wine last night, its a sachet you steep and follow the instructions. It was average. Had to add a load of the usual spices to get some flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Discovered hot apple juice with ginger last year, and now it is my fave winter drink.
    Tried mixing it with mulled wine, and it is delish !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Heard lots of people add rum to their mulled wine. So which is most common... Rum or brandy?
    If rum... spiced, white or dark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I like lash in some Amaretto into my mulled wine..... Dreamy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

sidders wrote: »
    Random question, I know its early but ive had craving for mulled wine lately.... Anybody know where you can find the spice mix for it?....yes im to lazy to make it myself

Thanks!!!
    Same here, really felt like mulled wine lately. The Fresh store at Smithfield had them last year but this year I did not find any there. A few years back I lived in Swords and the JCs there had them as well.

The Fresh store used to have all sort of unusual items like coffee flavoured chocolate, paprika flavoured crisps but all those things are gone now. It's just expensive but not unique any more.

Anyway, I checked a week ago a lot of shops including the Polish, Hungarians as well as the Christmas stalls. Nothing. Today I went to SuperValu close to Heuston Station and just came across 4 packs they had left on a "Christmas Shelf". Obviously I took them all but they might restock or other SuperValues might have them.

BT's Christmas shop has some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I got a bottle in Supervalu last week. E2.

Advertisement