Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applied languages in ul?

Options
  • 23-10-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So i am in sixth year at the moment and am planning on putting applied languages down as my first choice on my cao. Whats the lowdown on this course? Has anybody here done/doing it? What are the hours like and is the course very intensive? Am hoping to do german and spanish btw ( am currently doing german for the leaving cert and would love to take up spanish next year).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Hey I know loads of people that do this course but don't do it myself! The course is what you make of it, you can easily coast along and do the bare minimum but this will make your degree pointless. You need to put in alot of work to make yourself at the very least highly proficient in German and Spanish. Beginners language will have around 6 hours of class time a week, while the advanced language will have 4 hours.

There's also a lot of different electives to choose from such as Marketing or TEFL, which will increase your chances of employment. So between 14-18 hours of class a week depending on which electives you pick.You have to do at least one semester abroad on erasmus (which can be extended to two semesters) and eight months of work placement abroad. You'll have to do a good bit of coursework independently at home or in the library as well.

Advertisement