Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency [US Pace - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,461 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Haven't seen it yet but I am looking forward to it.

Also Netflix have the rights to it here and will put the whole season up when it's run finishes on BBC America in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I watched it via the BBC America App on Apple TV for some reason on my UPC connection it did not have geo restrictions.

It's madness but absolute fun and it has Richard Schiff in it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has this any connection to the Stephen Mangan series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Only in name I think.

Has this any connection to the Stephen Mangan series?

No

Both are inspired by the wonderful Douglas Adams book but are going completely different directions.

This one is adapted for Television by Max Landis (and this is where we loose 90% of potential viewers) and while it features loads of talented English actors as leads, it's based in Seattle, way faster and full of craziness.

It's fantastic (but you need to pay attention as everything is connected) but it's not the Stephen Mangan version just Americanized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Had me in stitches. Nicely done and looking forwards to some more episodes.

The full season arrives on Netflix on December 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No

Both are inspired by the wonderful Douglas Adams book but are going completely different directions.

This one is adapted for Television by Max Landis (and this is where we loose 90% of potential viewers) and while it features loads of talented English actors as leads, it's based in Seattle, way faster and full of craziness.

It's fantastic (but you need to pay attention as everything is connected) but it's not the Stephen Mangan version just Americanized.

Both done by the BBC though?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Both done by the BBC though?

This is not the classic BBC, this one is from BBC America which is the commercial arm of the BBC and AMC.

Hence the international distribution via Netflix rather than BBC.

Renewed for a second season by BBC America.

• Advertisement

I'm happy that this got an early renewal.

Max Landis really has done an incredible job with this.

Added to Netflix today.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,995 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I finally finished watching it today.

What a brilliant brilliant tv show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Watched first episode yesterday, seemed very very hipstery in a way to me that seems already weirdly dated (think about it something like Scott Pilgrim Vs the World was made over 6 years ago now). Will give the next episode a shot but I don't think the fast pace and music work with the absurdness and not proper laughs from myself.
    This one is adapted for Television by Max Landis (and this is where we loose 90% of potential viewers)

Max Landis seems to be a good example of how if you can convince the online "nerd" community if your one of them they will worship you, I'd argue that the 90% you talk about have a more realistic view on his output, one serviceable decent film Chronicle and a piece of work in a whole different genre (that superman comic). Say that on reddit though and you would be downvoted to oblivion

Max Landis seems to be a good example of how if you can convince the online "nerd" community if your one of them they will worship you, I'd argue that the 90% you talk about have a more realistic view on his output, one serviceable decent film Chronicle and a piece of work in a whole different genre (that superman comic). Say that on reddit though and you would be downvoted to oblivion

Max Landis is one of those characters that you have summed up nicely, however I think there is a little bit more to him than Chronicle and "Superman: American Alien" but on the flipside, several of his other work is just bad and I'm not sure if his explanation that it's the process that is bad is the only reason why. Plus his performance on Screenjunkies is outstanding.

In any case, I liked Dirk but I'm one of the nerds who regularly goes to Nerd HQ so I might not be completely unbiased here, even if don't worship him.

In fact I'm going for a second binge watching of Dirk over the next coming days because I have the feeling I missed some stuff.

Binge Watching completed, but now I have even more questions but for some reason I felt the 2nd viewing enhanced the experience and there was loads of stuff that I did not see first time around.

I need a second season of this..

Season 2 teaser

I'm so looking forward to this, it's one of my favorite shows of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Full season 2 trailer; looks like john Hannah & Alan Tudyk are guest starring this time around:

Everything is connected (still).

I thought when Max Landis became more lame/mainstreamed in his recent public appearance that he might have lost steam but nope......

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Any reason why?

I watched the 1st season and found it great so not sure where it went wrong?

Ratings bad?

Actually this is an AMC Studios production distributed by BBCAmerica for the US and Netflix for the rest of the world.

So it might still be possible to get a season 3 if Netflix picks the distribution rights up worldwide.

However it does not look likely.

Which is a shame, it was an excellent show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 2 is now up on Netflix IE; assuming the cancellation is definite & Netflix aren't going to swoop in, I hope at least this season at least wraps everything up.

Without going into spoilers, in a sense this season wraps up most of the major story lines. The finale is good as series finale even if it sets up a promising story line for the any new season.

You should still enjoy this season.

Too bad that it is canceled but I think there is little to no chance that AMC and Netflix will give it another seasons.

Finally got around to watch season 2.

Very enjoyable. Im a bit gutted there wont be any further seasons....

Hopefully Netflix might pick it up

I could understand why it'd not have studios besting down doors to pick up a third season however; it was a very odd beast and danced very carefully on a line between silly and too-silly, as it were. Wouldn't recommend this to many folks without first knowing they'd be into something this overtly daft. I loved it sure, but it's definitely a show to qualify under the term "it'd not for everyone".

I'd say were Netflix intending to go it alone with this they'd have announced by now: season 2 finished up donkeys ago now and there's often a slim window of opportunity before the logistics of casting, scripts etc closes, and actors etc have moved on to new things ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I was so disappointed they made one of the really sympathetic characters a baddy with very little reason extremely frustrating, and also the awful situation they left one of the best characters in at the end of the season/series a real downer

The new characters added should have made it a better season but it was a good bit worse than the first.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Confirmed this is most definitely dead, via the executive producer, noting that Dirk Gently couldn't find a new studio to make a season 3; guess it wasn't much of a hit on Netflix either:

https://twitter.com/ArvD/status/972515247775875072

• Advertisement
Advertisement