Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone was re-set; can't get in now!!

Options
  • 23-10-2016 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

Posting this on behalf of a relative.

She has a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 and got it about 6 months ago.
    Last week she told me when she went into an app (any app), it would close and bring her back to the Home screen.
    So I tried fixing it.

I just turned it off and on again and then took out the Sim card and put it back in.
    Seemed to be working fine then.

However, she went away on holiday and the problem arose again.
    Instead of waiting to come home and leave the phone in to be looked at in the Vodafone shop, she stupidly went to a phone shop in Spain and asked them to fix it.

I don't know if it was a language barrier or what, but the woman in the shop did a factory reset on the phone.

That wouldn't be so bad only now she can't actually get into the phone because it's asking her to Verify her Google account associated with the phone.

She entered her Gmail and password and it said "Checking Info" but still it said "Verify Google account".
    She spent ages trying to do it, resetting her password, having Gmail text her a new code, everything, but still the phone won't let her into it.

I think the phone's useless now (I tried everything to help her; reset her email and password, but nothing works.)
    I even went to her Gmail account on her PC to turn off 2nd-step authentication but it was already off.

Is this phone for the bin now or is there a way of resetting the phone again WITHOUT having to verify a Google account?

She knows she made a mistake letting a different phone shop even touch the phone, especially as it's still under guarantee and Vodafone here would have fixed the app-closure issue no problem, but the phone's been reset now and we cannot get past the Verify screen no matter what we do.

Any advice?

Comments

fussyonion wrote: »

Last week she told me when she went into an app (any app), it would close and bring her back to the Home screen.
    So I tried fixing it.

I just turned it off and on again and then took out the Sim card and put it back in.

Instead of waiting to come home and leave the phone in to be looked at in the Vodafone shop, she stupidly went to a phone shop in Spain and asked them to fix it.

I don't know if it was a language barrier or what, but the woman in the shop did a factory reset on the phone.

That wouldn't be so bad only now she can't actually get into the phone because it's asking her to Verify her Google account associated with the phone.

She entered her Gmail and password and it said "Checking Info" but still it said "Verify Google account".
    She spent ages trying to do it, resetting her password, having Gmail text her a new code, everything, but still the phone won't let her into it.

I think the phone's useless now (I tried everything to help her; reset her email and password, but nothing works.)
    I even went to her Gmail account on her PC to turn off 2nd-step authentication but it was already off.

Is this phone for the bin now or is there a way of resetting the phone again WITHOUT having to verify a Google account?

She knows she made a mistake letting a different phone shop even touch the phone, especially as it's still under guarantee and Vodafone here would have fixed the app-closure issue no problem, but the phone's been reset now and we cannot get past the Verify screen no matter what we do.

Any advice?

Resetting the phone does not have any impact on the warranty. Bring it back to Vodafone and don't mention the repair shop in Spain.

So I tried fixing it.

Any advice?

How is it asking her to verify the account?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Basil3 wrote: »
    How is it asking her to verify the account?

This is the screen she's faced with:

x4kpcy.jpg

She has two Gmail accounts. She tried entering each email address and password (as she was unsure which was the right one), but neither work.

She reset her password on both accounts incase the passwords were wrong but even doing that doesn't help.

Resetting the phone does not have any impact on the warranty. Bring it back to Vodafone and don't mention the repair shop in Spain.

What should she say?
    Just that she had been having a technical issue and decided to do a factory reset herself?

This is the screen she's faced with:

x4kpcy.jpg

She has two Gmail accounts. She tried entering each email address and password (as she was unsure which was the right one), but neither work.

She reset her password on both accounts incase the passwords were wrong but even doing that doesn't help.

I've had that before, when factory resetting a phone that I was using and giving it to my girlfriend. I had to enter my credentials before she could get into it.

You could try the recovery factory reset here:

https://support.google.com/android-one/answer/6088915?hl=en-GB&vid=0-208455149540-1477233344277

Bear in mind it says you might have to wait 24 hours if you've been changing the password.

In any case, the phone is still under warranty, and can be saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What should she say?
    Just that she had been having a technical issue and decided to do a factory reset herself?

Yes, factory resets can be done at any time for any reason. Her phone wasn't working so she tried to reset it.

I've had that before, when factory resetting a phone that I was using and giving it to my girlfriend. I had to enter my credentials before she could get into it.

You could try the recovery factory reset here:

https://support.google.com/android-one/answer/6088915?hl=en-GB&vid=0-208455149540-1477233344277

Bear in mind it says you might have to wait 24 hours if you've been changing the password.

In any case, the phone is still under warranty, and can be saved.

So you reckon the guys in the Vodafone shop can still get the phone back working even with this verification issue?
    If so, that'd be great.

She doesn't have a lot of money but was willing to try and get some money together for a new phone if she had to.

I'll take a look at that link now, thank you.

So you reckon the guys in the Vodafone shop can still get the phone back working even with this verification issue?
    If so, that'd be great.

She doesn't have a lot of money but was willing to try and get some money together for a new phone if she had to.

I'll take a look at that link now, thank you.

In theory, if she enters the credentials of the primary account that was on it previously, there should be no issues. Changing her passwords might have complicated the process a bit, but it should still work.

If she ends up taking it into a Vodafone and shows how it's locked her out after resetting it, they'd have to put it down to a software issue and replace it.

In theory, if she enters the credentials of the primary account that was on it previously, there should be no issues. Changing her passwords might have complicated the process a bit, but it should still work.

If she ends up taking it into a Vodafone and shows how it's locked her out after resetting it, they'd have to put it down to a software issue and replace it.

See, it's frustrating as it's not accepting her credentials and yes, resetting the passwords on both accounts has confused the issue further but hopefully Vodafone can fix it.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement