Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone finished radiography degree

Options
  • 23-10-2016 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey guys so I'm wondering what the entire radiography course in UCD entails, not just the names of each module that are presented on the website. The life of a radiography student, hours of study in a week, workload, placements, job fulfillment and satisfaction, balance of social life and college study. Also please give me insights into the advantages of the job and the disadvantages. Did you always want to be a radiographer and why or else regretting choosing this course.

Thank you so much in advance this really is important to me to understand exactly what I'm getting into.:):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Meringue

Im doing Radiography at the moment, not since long but ill tell what i know :)

The Life of a Radiography Student hmm...its as much or as little as you make it! I hear they are letting lots more people into the course next academic year so I'm sure there'll be loads for you to do if youre into that..I wouldnt be but I know the class rep organises mystery tours and nights out - we went to Edinburgh too :) theres also a tonne of clubs and socs about campus which im sure youve heard of so you cant possibly be bored even if you werent one to go "out".

Certain modules are a bit dodgy - and by that i mean boring/have silly groupwork projects - some you can doss, while others (like anatomy) have a huge amount of content which they say cant be condensed into reading week but I think it can if you really wanted...but people in the year above said all you need study is muscles and their nerves and youll pass semester1 term exam..which was 100pc true. So saying that, its not too labour intensive - if you go to lectures, take bits in and study properly during reading week, you can get away with not "studying" all term. (worked for me anyway and i got an A- in my final exam).

Placement. Best thing so far. Honestly. You dread it for some reason at the start and it kinda seems like a chore, but by the end of the first two weeks I really think its what makes or breaks the course for you - lets you know where youre at and whether you think the course is/isnt for you.
    From speaking to actual radiographers while on placement, they all seem to really enjoy it and theyre all quite close knit - which is nice to see. Something I learned is that if you wanna do CT or MRI you dont haveto go do a masters, but you do for Ultrasound.
    Employment rates are exceptional too for the job, you get a job practically when you graduate. Also, you can travel the world and go on exchange programs with different hospitals aroung the place if you were interested. So thats an aspect that appeals to me.

I actually wanted to do physio initially and came across radiography by chance, looked into it and thought it seemed interesting so i put it in my no. 1 CAO spot and got it. Looking back now, I'm glad that I made the switch - primarily because the employment is soooo much better looking and its a super flexible, well-paying and interesting job that you can take loads of different routes from.

Advertisement