Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to learn guitar - Lessons & Electric Guitar purchase suggestions?

Options
  • 23-10-2016 9:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi guys

Off the sauce indefinitely so want to put my expendable funds to good use.

Not picked up a guitar for about 12 years - I'm 31 - was half decent when I was 19 but I REALLY want to get into it again - I remember basic chords but that's about it.

I have an acoustic which I'm yet to pick up again but really want to buy myself an electric guitar and get some lessons.

Any suggestions on what guitar I should get and what sort of lessons I need?

I've always loved an SG but from what I remember a Telecaster is the best for beginners?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

A good instructor will put you in the right direction so getting lessons will be a massive start, especially as you have some background. Your previous experience will come out before long!

Guitar wise I'd probably just say to go and have a look, feel and a bit of a strum and see what feels right. No need to break the bank but at the same time you are as well to get something half decent.

What type of music is your preferred for playing, might be easier to come up with a guitar to suit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭A Happy Death

Thanks for that :)

Stuff I want to play is mostly Indie/Alternative and some Classic Rock - Manic Street Preachers/Muse/Smashing Pumpkins/The Clash/Rolling Stones etc

I've a few days off next week so I'll take your advice, head to a guitar store and have a feel of a few guitars

Guessing a basic 50/80 watt amp will do me for the time being?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Get a Yamaha Pacifica and a boss micro cube. Don't worry about 50 watt amps ATM,cos they'll be too damn loud to practice with.

feylya wrote: »
    Get a Yamaha Pacifica and a boss micro cube. Don't worry about 50 watt amps ATM,cos they'll be too damn loud to practice with.

What they be? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The Yamaha is a guitar, very good beginner/intermidiate electric and the Micro cube is a cheap and cheerful amp with a wide verity of sounds and effects.
    I wouldn't be a big fan of the amp really but it serves a purpose.

Get onto Guitarist Ireland and GI Classifieds on Facebook, they're group pages where you'll get fantastic deals on good second hand gear.
    Personally, I never buy amps first hand, it's a bit of a mugs game. Like buying a new car.

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    The Yamaha is a guitar, very good beginner/intermidiate electric and the Micro cube is a cheap and cheerful amp with a wide verity of sounds and effects.
    I wouldn't be a big fan of the amp really but it serves a purpose.

Get onto Guitarist Ireland and GI Classifieds on Facebook, they're group pages where you'll get fantastic deals on good second hand gear.
    Personally, I never buy amps first hand, it's a bit of a mugs game. Like buying a new car.

I've requested to join both groups :)

In terms of a beginners electric guitar, I should be looking for low action, right?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

How much are you looking to spend? A Squier or Mexican Fender wouldn't break the bank, no need to spend big money on an amp until you're at least ready to jam with a band, a cheap little practice amp will be fine. As well as the microcube, the likes of Fender, Marshall, Vox, Orange make some great little practice amps. 5w is plenty.

No reason not to get an SG if that's what you like, Epiphone SGs are very good and affordable, if you want to spend more a Gibson studio SG is around 800 New. Second hand is good.

As for lessons, check out JustinGuitar - excellent, easy to follow and free. Either his own website or YouTube. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I was scrolling down to post exactly that.

I've requested to join both groups :)

In terms of a beginners electric guitar, I should be looking for low action, right?

Low or high action depends on the person, I'm quite heavy handed so high action suits me, everyone else in my band like to have their guitars set up very light, so light that I can barely play them.
    Action is in the set up, not the guitar itself so to speak.

To kind of futures roof yourself, you can pick up a cheap enough amp that will sound good at bedroom levels and be jam-able in the future.
    http://www.adverts.ie/11611308
    http://www.adverts.ie/11572946

And thinking outside the box can get you a really nice guitar.
    http://www.adverts.ie/9729897
    http://www.adverts.ie/11574442
    http://www.adverts.ie/9677483

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Have a look at these.
    https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_hbt1952.htm

I picked one up recently and it is as good as any €300+ guitar
    It is a solid ash body and very comfortable neck and has a really decent set of pickups
    Dont let the price put you off , I can post pictures if you want to see how nice it really is
    I also have one of their les pauls which is also excellent , they also do sg's

I also agree on the microcube , I had one for years and it sounded great
    You dont need anywhere near 50 watts for at home
    I use 5 watts and never get close to half way on the volume although it is a valve amp.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys

A Microcube new @ 130 or 2nd hand at 80 notes?

Thanks guys

A Microcube new @ 130 or 2nd hand at 80 notes?

Second hand. There will be nothing at all wrong with it.

endacl wrote: »
    Second hand. There will be nothing at all wrong with it.

The Cube 20 might not be a bad buy either , its a little bigger and a few more tone options for around the same price used

the Cube 15 x is a very basic amp very little tones effects compared to the 20 , just so you know!

I'm buying this today guys - good starter guitar? Easy to play?

Epiphone Futura Prophecy

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Epiphone/Prophecy-Futura-Custom-EX.aspx

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Epiphone are OK guitars. The lower price ones are fine, the more expensive ones are decent enough. The only thing I'll say about that guitar is that, because it's not a Les Paul, Tele or Strat shape, you may have an issue moving it on should you decide that playing guitar isn't for you.

Epiphone are OK guitars. The lower price ones are fine, the more expensive ones are decent enough. The only thing I'll say about that guitar is that, because it's not a Les Paul, Tele or Strat shape, you may have an issue moving it on should you decide that playing guitar isn't for you.

Decided against it - seems to be more of a metal guitar

I'm gonna go with a Tele :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Not to hijack this thread but what is the minimum amount of money you would want to spend on a Gibson les Paul to make sure you are getting a decent model?
    Vague question I know.
    Around the upper 1k amount ?

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Not to hijack this thread but what is the minimum amount of money you would want to spend on a Gibson les Paul to make sure you are getting a decent model?
    Vague question I know.
    Around the upper 1k amount ?

You can get a used studio or tribute for about 500 up

I sold a lovely one a few months ago for €500 on adverts
    If you do your homework you might be able to get a new one online for about €600 on special in the next few weeks, black Friday etc.

On the other hand, an unused explorer type makes a grand gable end for a reasonably sized and very sturdy garden shed!

• Advertisement

See the thing is the nearest music store doesn't stock Gibson anymore I think and I have no friends with a Gibson lp so it is very hard to tell the difference between studio,standard etc.. without seeing/playing them in real life.

I'd consider other brands too, LTD make beautiful LP style guitars and you don't get slapped with the Gibson tax.
    That's just one example.

Taking the plunge after work guys

Telecaster

Anyone want to point me in the way of private lessons?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What variety of Telecaster have you chosen?

Instructor suggestions should be made by PM as per the forum rules.

Oh btw I think a strat is a good first choice guitar.
    More versatile in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

OP, a Tele is a fine choice. Throw up a pic and tell us exactly what you got.

Advertisement