Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Buying this Tower

Options
  • 22-10-2016 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hey guys... :D

sorry to annoy ye with this, first gaming pc purchase in over a decade !!!!

So this came up on adverts and I wanted to get some options before collecting it.

Mostly going to be playing some Dark souls 3 and the new CIV game, specs seems pretty good to me,

Haven't had a gaming pc in 10 yrs plus.

This AM A8 FM2 plus socket 5600
    16gb hyper fury x
    5tb of storage
    120 gb ssd for operating system
    Air cooled contains 12 fans
    Thermaltake stackable case
    2 radeon r7 graphics cards in crossfire 260x model
    Gigabyte sniper A88x chipset
    PSU evaga 500 watt

let me know what ye think, reason for buying is a serious budget!

regards
    D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Depends on how much it costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

tadcan wrote: »
    Depends on how much it costs.

I think I could get it for 300,

Might even sell some of the 5tb, Ill prob upgrade the CPU as I checked the benchmarks and I might get a bottle neck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

DaraDali wrote: »
    Hey guys... :D

sorry to annoy ye with this, first gaming pc purchase in over a decade !!!!

So this came up on adverts and I wanted to get some options before collecting it.

Mostly going to be playing some Dark souls 3 and the new CIV game, specs seems pretty good to me,

Haven't had a gaming pc in 10 yrs plus.

This AM A8 FM2 plus socket 5600
    16gb hyper fury x
    5tb of storage
    120 gb ssd for operating system
    Air cooled contains 12 fans
    Thermaltake stackable case
    2 radeon r7 graphics cards in crossfire 260x model
    Gigabyte sniper A88x chipset
    PSU evaga 500 watt

let me know what ye think, reason for buying is a serious budget!

regards
    D
    AMD A8-5600K was released in early 2012.
    Best CPU you can put in there is an Athlon X4 860k, which isn't much of an improvement.

AMD R7 260x is a budget model that wasn't all that great when released in 2014.
    If there's actually 2 in there - what a waste of electricity!

What's the actual budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's an older platform and won't be very good for CPU intensive titles (some of the latest games where an i5 can achieve 60fps+, even the best CPU on FM2 socket would be limited to around 30-35).

But for 300 for the whole system it is a good deal no doubt. You could sell both the 260X's for around 60-70 a piece, and buy a brand new RX460 with the cash which is a better card. Crossfire is largely a waste of time, too many bugs, issues, some games perform work with crossfire than single card, etc.

There are probably older i5 based PC's on adverts though for the same money, which might not have all the frills of this one (5tb storage, SSD, etc) but the i5 is a much sounder investment for both now and the future. As long as it's second generation plus, it's fine. (i5-2xx0 series, i5-3xx0 series +)

Advertisement