Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welding a wacker base plate.

Options
  • 22-10-2016 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Have a couple of wacker plates. One is broke clean in half and the other a couple cracks through it but still just about holding together. Would they be any good if I was to get them welded. You can get to both sides to weld

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭T5180

Is the base a fabricated steel assembly or Cast? if it is cast you could try to weld it but its unlikey to last . My guess is that its fabricated and that there would be no problem welding it . Clean it up , Vee it out if necessary and weld it preferably using stick /rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah no bother done it with a wacker I got at an auction before n was good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Not sure what it's made from. I'm going to give to to a local welder. He's top man and would know the different rods to use. I was also thinking of getting some 6mm plate and having it like a 2nd skin on it. Have holes in it and plug weld it to the original base as well or is this over kill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Some photos

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭T5180

Looks like a cast plate to me ,if its cast iron it will be very difficult to make a repair strong enough to last . If by any chance its cast steel it would weld fine .You could always try fabricating a new one from steel plate .

• Advertisement
Advertisement