Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which kind of professionals can diagose the cause of mould?

Options
  • 22-10-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I bought a second hand apartment recently. There are moulds on the ceiling and the top of the walls in the bathroom. In the bedroom next to the bathroom, there is a strip of spotty discoloration on the ceiling as well, running from the side of the bathroom to the side of the window.
    I'd like to have someone check the cause of the moulds so that I can be sure how to fix it properly. Which kind of professionals should I contact for this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It might not be mould but a painter could tell you, it might be that they never opened the window to let steam out and all the dirt and dead skin cells in hot water vapor stuck to the roof instead of being let out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mould is common in bathrooms. Usually it's the steam from the shower causes it. Hot steam hits cold wall and condensation forms. Over a period of time mould starts to grow.
    Spray bleach, leave half hour & wipe away. Repeat as necessary. If it were me I'd try this first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jinyasha

Thanks for the replies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭VladamirP

jinyasha wrote: »
    I bought a second hand apartment recently. There are moulds on the ceiling and the top of the walls in the bathroom. In the bedroom next to the bathroom, there is a strip of spotty discoloration on the ceiling as well, running from the side of the bathroom to the side of the window.
    I'd like to have someone check the cause of the moulds so that I can be sure how to fix it properly. Which kind of professionals should I contact for this? Thanks in advance.

It could be spillage or leaks from the apt on top of you, or if you are on the top, the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

We had an awful problem with mould even after having vents put in each room and having gutters re done. We did all the usual things to combat it but it kept coming back. Eventually we found a company in Tipperary I think. They were called Acorn. (I'll try find a link or check for paperwork to confirm the name.) A man came up (I live in Galway) and did a lot of mooching about the attic, had a hand held gadget to read temperature and droughts. He sourced our problem, the people who insulated our attic forced the insulation right into the eaves, leaving no space for moisture to leave. He made some recommendations which we followed and he sold us a cleaning product plus another mould remover which was added to ceiling paint. I have to say it all worked fantastically and we've not had a single issue since. It was a couple of hundred euro but definitely well worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

Make sure you have proper ventilation wherever you have a build up of moisture/steam be it bathroom, ensuite or kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Dublin City Handyman

extractor fan in the bathroom is not strong enough.. Replace it for a good quality one..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cupan_tae

+1 on Fan

Based on my own recent experience I'd check the condition of the extractor fan, clean out any build up inside or replace it altogether.

Covering myself here by saying only go at this when you know (for sure) you have turned off power to the fan. If unsure get someone with some experience to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

I have the same problem in the kitchen. I do have an extractor fan over the cooker but it doesn't seem to take all the steam away even though the distance from top of the fan to outside is only about two /three feet.
    What is a good ( but not madly expensive ) kitchen extractor fan.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have the same problem in the kitchen. I do have an extractor fan over the cooker but it doesn't seem to take all the steam away even though the distance from top of the fan to outside is only about two /three feet. What is a good ( but not madly expensive ) kitchen extractor fan. Thanks.

Power city will have several different ones. Ask rep to show you the most powerful ones and have a look at prices. If you are planning on replacing there's no point getting the same power as the old one. Bought my last one 8 years ago so haven't a clue on price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

extractor fan in the bathroom is not strong enough.. Replace it for a good quality one..

You can have any great extractor fan you like, but you need to have a small gap under the door for airflow if you are keeping the window and door closed.
    If the doors and windows are tightly closed the fan has no airflow to pull on until the door is open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PatrickbMccabe

I have had a mould problem for a couple of years and each time a brought people in to fix the problem, the remedy was only temporary. I was watching House Doctor on rte and heard about these fellas who test so see what type of mould it is....  I got them in and it seems that the other crowd were treating the totally WRONG mould.... recommend the correct procedure and, I had a warranty with the other guys..... they came back and did what consurv.ie said.... PROBLEM GONE!!!

Advertisement