Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a surveyor tell what need to be fixed, and ballpark costs?

Options
  • 21-10-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

When one wants to buy a second hand apartment and hires a surveyor, can the surveyor tell what are the things need to be fixed? Can s/he also tell ballpark costs to fix them?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jinyasha wrote: »
    When one wants to buy a second hand apartment and hires a surveyor, can the surveyor tell what are the things need to be fixed? Can s/he also tell ballpark costs to fix them?

He can. Whether it's part of the standard survey or not is something you'd have to agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Remember that surveyor will only do visual inspections without interfering with structures and materials, also not all of them like to go up in the attics.
    From my experience surveyors do only basic inspections and can point out very obvious faults.
    Regards costs better look for quantity surveyor.
    Ideally surveyor will have at least inspection camera or thermal imaging camera to be able to see bit more than just a paint on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jinyasha

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Remember that surveyor will only do visual inspections without interfering with structures and materials, also not all of them like to go up in the attics.
    From my experience surveyors do only basic inspections and can point out very obvious faults.
    Regards costs better look for quantity surveyor.
    Ideally surveyor will have at least inspection camera or thermal imaging camera to be able to see bit more than just a paint on the wall.

Most surveyors will get into the article to check insulation and timber rafter condition etc

Infact, I would almost say this is a standard part of the survey.
    Inspection camera is a nice addition but the thermal imaging would be above and beyond the standard inspection for a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Hi,

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm in the same situation as the OP.
    What's the common practice, ie can I come with the surveyor and be there when they're checking the apartment so I can benefit from first-hand knowledge and ask questions?
    Would they work evenings/weekends?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

MaudL wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm in the same situation as the OP.
    What's the common practice, ie can I come with the surveyor and be there when they're checking the apartment so I can benefit from first-hand knowledge and ask questions?
    Would they work evenings/weekends?

Thanks!

I would not want you there to be honest.
    To Many questions and on the spot answers without checking details.

Adds a lot of time to the survey when trying to carry out the survey and deal with client/questions at the same time.

I would rather you put the questions in writing and email them over.

Working times will vary, but evenings would be a no go, especially now with the darkness coming in quite early as you want good lighting to try see everything.

kceire wrote: »
    I would not want you there to be honest.
    To Many questions and on the spot answers without checking details.

Adds a lot of time to the survey when trying to carry out the survey and deal with client/questions at the same time.

I would rather you put the questions in writing and email them over.

Working times will vary, but evenings would be a no go, especially now with the darkness coming in quite early as you want good lighting to try see everything.

Ah I see your point!
    I didn't know I could email them questions after receiving the report, that's good. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

It's very unlikely the current owner/tenant will let the surveyor come at the weekend even if he's happy to do so.

I usually ring the client while I'm there to ask if they have any particular issues they'd like me to look at.

Good well now I need to find a surveyor!
    If anybody knows a good one (or is a good one!), I'd appreciate a pm with contact information and fees for a 2-bed apartment in Dublin 18.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭daithi7

jinyasha wrote: »

Yes they can and if asked and agreed yes they will.

They can give budgetary costings and also summary details on what's involved in adressing each issue e.g scaffolding, underpinning, dry lining, etc, etc, etc. It may also be useful to ask them to rate issues as minor, medium or major say, for your own purposes. E.g. a subsidence in an outdoor car park space may be minor, but in a foundation of a building major say. So imho you should ask for an inspection, highlighting any issues, rate their importance/potential impact ,with a budget costing and a brief outline in what is involved in fixing these issues.

You could also add.things like how ready it would to extend, refurb, upgrade, etc, etc, etc

Good luck.

P.s. you only need a qs if you are going about a major build. Not necessary at all at survey time imho.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Most surveyors will get into the article to check insulation and timber rafter condition etc

Infact, I would almost say this is a standard part of the survey.
    Inspection camera is a nice addition but the thermal imaging would be above and beyond the standard inspection for a purchase.

There's a lot of standard procedures and a lot who not following them, I know just a handful of surveyors that I trust and know that the survey will be done right.

There's a lot of standard procedures and a lot who not following them, I know just a handful of surveyors that I trust and know that the survey will be done right.

Out of curiosity what will the thermal imaging camera provide to the end user?
    We check them for air leaks and thermal envelopes in new builds but if I done it in a second hand apartment it will show up all the leaks through sockets, vents etc

Nothing can be done about that so I'm just wondering why or for what purpose the end user would require it?

It will provide more detailed picture of air leaks and cold bridges say on the ceiling wall joints, window reviles and can show state of the heating system, heat circulation in radiators. Things where more attention is needed. If second hand house is redecorated just before sale, you won't be able to see any faults without it.

Advertisement