Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI - Glass Kettle for €29.99 - special buys for Thursday 20th Oct 2016

Options
  • 20-10-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Picked the last one from my local ALDI store today. 30 yo-yos.

https://www.aldi.ie/p/073410074565900

Glass-Kettle-D.jpg?o=h9oIHWBkGTwknGS9kzsjtBQ3ur4j&V=3iIi&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Seems to be good enough and mimics twice as expensive Russell Hobbs Illuminating Glass Kettle, 1.7 L, 3000 W
    There are newer and cheaper similar model from Russell Hobbs available now but can not say much about that one and it is still 30 vs 45 euro.

I used to own original Russell Hobbs model, cool design but has a flaw - lid breaks after few months of use, had to replace by warranty twice before giving up on it.
    Think the ALDI one is great buy, the only questionable thing for me is warranty. Web site says "please contact Customer Services", by calling helpline number I presume. Does this means that I can not just exchange in store if it breaks? (hopefully it won't, will play it by ear)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

They look nice when new but with hard water it's gonna need cleaning with the old lemon juice and vinegar fairly often, no?

Also, is it a "cool wall' glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do you really expect them to hold replacement stock in-store of every electrical item they sell on occasion?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭McSim

Pique wrote: »
    They look nice when new but with hard water it's gonna need cleaning with the old lemon juice and vinegar fairly often, no?
    I use glass kettles for couple of years, filling kettle from jug water filter, did not have to clean it even once. There is small amount of limescale building up just before water filter is due to replacement, but is clears up itself in few days after filter replaced.
    Also, is it a "cool wall' glass?
    Do not know what is "cool wall" glass.
    Esel wrote: »
    Do you really expect them to hold replacement stock in-store of every electrical item they sell on occasion?
    No, I do not expect them to hold the stock for immediate replacement. But I would expect to be able to bring it to the local store for warranty return and pick it up from there in few days or weeks. Otherwise I would imagine "return to base" manufacturer warranty will cost between 30%-50% in postage fees from original price, almost sure I will have to ship either to the UK or Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Shipping in both directions is free to the consumer - at least in the case of Lidl. I would think it's the same for Aldi.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

My folks have gone thru over half a dozen lidl/aldi kettles in the last few years.
    I've had a tefal myself for over 6 years and still going strong.
    I know what I will be buying next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I've had one of these kettles for at least five years - not a day of trouble and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

McSim wrote:
    Do not know what is "cool wall" glass.

It's basically double walled so the glass isn't at 100 degree C. Essential imo for glass or metal kettles nowadays. Plastic doesn't conduct heat so well so it's not as big a deal.

It's basically double walled so the glass isn't at 100 degree C. Essential imo for glass or metal kettles nowadays. Plastic doesn't conduct heat so well so it's not as big a deal.
    No, it is not "cool wall".
    Did not know such design exists for glass. Can you please give an example of the glass kettle with double walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

McSim wrote: »
    No, it is not "cool wall".
    Did not know such design exists for glass. Can you please give an example of the glass kettle with double walls?

€30 on a kettle!? Recession is truly over.

Only kidding, looks cool.

€30 on a kettle!? Recession is truly over.
    Only kidding, looks cool.
    I hate do not like plastic kettles. This leaves metal or glass. I personally would prefer metal, but can not find anything good enough for me below 40€ price tag. Thus, as my folks like blue light, end up with illuminated glass :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

As it happens I'm in the market for a new kettle ... again. Lime scale in the area is just woeful.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2371256/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen%2Band%2Blaundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780844%7CKettles%7C14418611.htm

After a bit of research this is the cheapest metal kettle I can find.

As it happens I'm in the market for a new kettle ... again. Lime scale in the area is just woeful.
    Speaking of limescale and recession - I have seen people turning on kettles with heavy limescale deposits inside without water for 5-10 secs. Excessive heat make limescale to crack and go away from heating element, can be helped with a bit of cold water after switched off. Must warn - it is against all safety recommendations, this is rather "do not try this at home" tip, but I seen it working more then once. Possibly might worth a shot if you get a new kettle and intended to throw the old one to the bin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Speaking of limescale and recession - I have seen people turning on kettles with heavy limescale deposits inside without water for 5-10 secs. Excessive heat make limescale to crack and go away from heating element, can be helped with a bit of cold water after switched off. Must warn - it is against all safety recommendations, this is rather "do not try this at home" tip, but I seen it working more then once. Possibly might worth a shot if you get a new kettle and intended to throw the old one to the bin anyway.

Boil some citric acid, leave it in the kettle for 10 minutes, boil again and the limescale is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Must be a ton weight when full though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2371256/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen%2Band%2Blaundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780844%7CKettles%7C14418611.htm

After a bit of research this is the cheapest metal kettle I can find.

That kettle is unbelievably noisy, I had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Plus one for the citric acid works a treat

I've to replace my Philips plastic junk. Water goes everywhere when you pour. It's like trying to pour tea from a cheap musgraves teapot

Think this kettle looks the job thanks op.

ImARebel wrote: »
    Plus one for the citric acid works a treat
    In my experience citric acid is useless for something like 9119800.gif, when kettle pretty much stops working because heating element completely covered in thick 2mm limescale deposit.
    May be I put not enough of it :confused:
    ImARebel wrote: »
    I've to replace my Philips plastic junk. Water goes everywhere when you pour. It's like trying to pour tea from a cheap musgraves teapot
    There is usually mesh filter where water pours out from kettle, cleaning it might help

Apologies it's nitric acid not citric acid that I use I just checked the bottle. And it melts it off no problem, no matter how thick. Just don't inhale the fumes and watch your skin

My Aldi is sold out. Left it a bit late to pick one up. Said they didn't get many in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Had these back in so bought one
    Poor design or maybe I got a bad one but the lid is not tight against the seal so when pouring the water comes out under the lid
    Returned!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

fritzelly wrote: »
    Had these back in so bought one
    Poor design or maybe I got a bad one but the lid is not tight against the seal so when pouring the water comes out under the lid
    Returned!

No need to drag up a thread almost two years old to share that

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

OmegaGene wrote: »
    No need to drag up a thread almost two years old to share that

I know.i was devastated as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

In my experience citric acid is useless for something like 9119800.gif, when kettle pretty much stops working because heating element completely covered in thick 2mm limescale deposit.
    May be I put not enough of it :confused:

There is usually mesh filter where water pours out from kettle, cleaning it might help
    Buy a couple of cheap bottles of vinegar in Aldi, soak that overnight in the first one, scrape away as much as you can the next day then boil the second bottle a few times in it, the element will be spotless and the kettle will start working again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement