Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Low Cost Workstation Build

Options
  • 20-10-2016 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I am looking to build a lowcost workstation, as cheap as possible within reason.
    Need a few of these hence the price.

Need a lost cost CPU which does the job with multi processes well.
    Suppot at least 2 monitors.

Was looking at the AMD chips due to price

I just need
    Ram - min 8
    HD - Maybe very small SSD hard drive as this is only for work files and quick better then volume
    A system that can have no GPU - not sure if the mobo can support integrated graphics anymore. was thinking if needed may as well get an APU.

the systems are for work. web dev so a lot of concurrent processes etc.

Don't need windows, or media drives?

was looking at these low cost AMD chips.

what do you all think? cant seem to make up my mind from them?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#X=0,8000&m=6&C=4,22&Z=3400,4700&sort=a7&page=1

also alot of review sites say various ones of the listed chips are better for budget performance. not many agree the same chip.

Really appreciate a build :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Log-on wrote: »
    anyone?

There is no such thing as a low cost workstation. If you want a number of low cost PC's, then you would be better off looking at the likes of Dell/HP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I got a i3 full system off adverts for 100 including windows v licence added SSD and gfx I already had. Used my own monitor etc. You'd have to do something similar. Building your own is more expensive than buying at the low end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Log-on wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I am looking to build a lowcost workstation, as cheap as possible within reason.
    Need a few of these hence the price.

Need a lost cost CPU which does the job with multi processes well.
    Suppot at least 2 monitors.

Was looking at the AMD chips due to price

I just need
    Ram - min 8
    HD - Maybe very small SSD hard drive as this is only for work files and quick better then volume
    A system that can have no GPU - not sure if the mobo can support integrated graphics anymore. was thinking if needed may as well get an APU.

the systems are for work. web dev so a lot of concurrent processes etc.

Don't need windows, or media drives?

was looking at these low cost AMD chips.

what do you all think? cant seem to make up my mind from them?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#X=0,8000&m=6&C=4,22&Z=3400,4700&sort=a7&page=1

also alot of review sites say various ones of the listed chips are better for budget performance. not many agree the same chip.

Really appreciate a build :)
    Half of those CPUs are listed as "Integrated Graphics = NO".
    Only A8/A10 have integrated.

Is this for a business?
    Go to Dell & get a business machine (Optiplex/Vostro) with a Core i3 or i5.
    You'll really want Next Day Business Support for when a machine goes tits-up.

Advertisement