Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly mother needs bypass surgery.

Options
  • 20-10-2016 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

To say I'm distraught at the moment would be an understatement. My mam, who is in her 70's, and has been in good health overall, has been told she needs a heart bypass.

She began to suffer from shortness of breath a couple of weeks ago, but being a stubborn Irish mam thought it would pass and told nobody.

Fast forward to this week and we've went from thinking worst case scenario is she'd need a stent, to being told that she has 100% blockage on one valve and similar build-up on the rest. The only option for my mam is a bypass.

My concerns lay firstly around her age and the surgery, but also ly around her recovery.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm looking for any advice on what to expect while she's in hospital and how to practically assist her while she's in there.

She's attending the Mater private btw, a long way from our home, so directions, accommodation, or anything at all really you can think of would mean an awful lot to myself and my family. I'd also appreciate advice on how best to assist her when she comes home in the short and long term.

Thanks for reading folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Hello

I cannot help you with the practical issues you discuss as not living in Dublin. The hospital can help with accommodation , buses, directions, etc ...they shoudl have an information and/or voluntary section you can talk with.

Medical staff , includign nurses can advise you on length of hospital stay and recovery at home and in hospital. Just need to ask the questions. They will see many the same type of patients everyday so will have lots of experience. They can give you details about recovery , etc...Your mother will have to go back for follow up visits after discharge and also your GP will advise on recovery and general health issues after the op

But so many of my family uncles, mother , aunts have had by pass surgery and have made a complete recovery .

My uncle had it over 20 years ago and is still going strong

Another who has a very unhealthy lifestyle had it in 2005 and is stil going strong..

So as far as the op goes there are very good outcomes and recovery . Though of course no operation is without risk but if your mother is otherwise healthy she should make a good recovery

So I guess some positive outlook for your mother is required so she can get back to normal as soon as possible ...I am not sure what recovery length is now as it gets shorter and shorter with each year as science moves on

My uncle in 2005 was 2 weeks in hospital and about 3 months to fully recover at home but was out and about after a month at home ...Mind you he was in his 60s

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Oh by the way in your 70s is not that elderly these days ...

My Grandmother died a few weeks ago at 101

I find if people think they are old they become old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Hello

I cannot help you with the practical issues you discuss as not living in Dublin. The hospital can help with accommodation , buses, directions, etc ...they shoudl have an information and/or voluntary section you can talk with.

Medical staff , includign nurses can advise you on length of hospital stay and recovery at home and in hospital. Just need to ask the questions. They will see many the same type of patients everyday so will have lots of experience. They can give you details about recovery , etc...Your mother will have to go back for follow up visits after discharge and also your GP will advise on recovery and general health issues after the op

But so many of my family uncles, mother , aunts have had by pass surgery and have made a complete recovery .

My uncle had it over 20 years ago and is still going strong

Another who has a very unhealthy lifestyle had it in 2005 and is stil going strong..

So as far as the op goes there are very good outcomes and recovery . Though of course no operation is without risk but if your mother is otherwise healthy she should make a good recovery

So I guess some positive outlook for your mother is required so she can get back to normal as soon as possible ...I am not sure what recovery length is now as it gets shorter and shorter with each year as science moves on

My uncle in 2005 was 2 weeks in hospital and about 3 months to fully recover at home but was out and about after a month at home ...Mind you he was in his 60s

Best of luck

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

To say I'm distraught at the moment would be an understatement. My mam, who is in her 70's, and has been in good health overall, has been told she needs a heart bypass.

She began to suffer from shortness of breath a couple of weeks ago, but being a stubborn Irish mam thought it would pass and told nobody.

Fast forward to this week and we've went from thinking worst case scenario is she'd need a stent, to being told that she has 100% blockage on one valve and similar build-up on the rest. The only option for my mam is a bypass.

My concerns lay firstly around her age and the surgery, but also ly around her recovery.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm looking for any advice on what to expect while she's in hospital and how to practically assist her while she's in there.

She's attending the Mater private btw, a long way from our home, so directions, accommodation, or anything at all really you can think of would mean an awful lot to myself and my family. I'd also appreciate advice on how best to assist her when she comes home in the short and long term.

Thanks for reading folks.

I can help with kids/lifts/accommodation
    I'll babysit and everything for free.im from Dublin living on the curragh my kids are all in thier teens (I've 4 kids 3 boys and a lady being 12,13 soon if I can help at all).pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

triona1 wrote: »
    I can help with kids/lifts/accommodation
    I'll babysit and everything for free.im from Dublin living on the curragh my kids are all in thier teens (I've 4 kids 3 boys and a lady being 12,13 soon if I can help at all).pm me.

Thanks a million Triona. I'm not sure how this will pan out yet, but you're a very kind person to offer your help. It might be a week or so before my mam is transferred so I'll let you know. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Contact the hospital for answers to your questions.
    I was there last year for heart surgery. Was better than some hotels I've been in!
    There is parking beside it. €15 for 24 hours.

Advertisement