Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philosophy conversion kit

Options
  • 19-10-2016 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if people would find it a fun and useful exercise to help me create a philosophy conversion kit.
    I was sitting alone reading a book today and some Mormans came over and asked if I wanted to chat.
    So of course I had to say yes(I've read the bible cover to cover as a religious person in another life :D).
    It was just one of them talking and was very civil and agreeable.
    He pulled out the book of Morman and began to chat and explain his religion.
    I pulled out my own bible at a later stage, "The Nietzsche Reader", but couldn't even find the passage I wanted on truth and had to wing it.

It got me thinking, these guys got their sh*t together!
    Why don't I?
    I've thought for a few years now, that philosophy is possibly one of the few ways to counter and dissolve destructive ideologies among society.
    Not that I think Mormans are that destructive at all actually..
    Some people may be more suited to a simple philosophy for living. I just have issue with shame and guilt and control of peoples lives.

So I'd like to gather a list of quotes that can be used to provide some new perspectives, with regards to converting people to philosophy.
    Maybe printed on a piece of paper or as a text on a mobile phone.
    Actually I might print out cards as well and hand them out randomly to people!!

It was kind of funny in a way. He asked me what I like about philosophy and my mind went blank at the start.
    All I could say was that I hadn't thought to make an elevator pitch :)

Any ideas on how to map out a path to philosophy, from an embedded ideology?
    It could be specifically for religion, or probably better, just for any belief or ideology framework.
    I'd like to get as close to the foundations without provoking an ego response.

As someone who would like more people to read philosophy, I feel it's pretty much an obligation to make an effort in this regard, when the opportunity arises.

I'll finish by copy pasting a comment I made on social media, to explain how I see things. It was in response to a post about how the world is going crazy with all sorts of fanatical ideas, wars, corruption etc.
    "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."- Nietzsche
    Philosophy will sort that out :)
    Always searching for truth where none exists. A constant questioning of everything, as growth, into infinity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Unless you're using the word "philosophy" in some specialized sense that is not obvious to me, I think you're making a false distinction here. Religion or ideology is not the opposite of philosophy; religions and ideologies typically are philosophical positions.

It seems to me that what you're asking is how you can convert them to to your philosophy. But, with respect, wouldn't you be the expert on that yourself? Apart from the fact that you obviously find Nietzsche appealing, we don't know very much about your philosophy or why you hold it.

As yourself how you came to hold the philosophical principles that you now hold. That'll point you to at least one route to conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Haha yes!
    I was thinking this as I was typing out that post.
    I felt a bit like a fascist :D
    The Nietzsche quote and my opinion quoted, sets the tone for my philosophy I guess.
    Never to hold too strong a conviction. To keep questioning even our own beliefs, so as not to fall prey to a dangerous ideology for too long.
    I am even looking for a path out from Nietzsche, but so far it's quite difficult :D
    I still have so much left to under-stand before I move up.

My intentions on the long term (for now) is to try to find some way to help others to be more loving in a general sense.
    My idea of this "loving", is accepting, but accepting doesn't quite cover what I mean.
    Which is expanded on in an earlier thread on this forum titled "love and acceptance", IIRC.

I don't necessarily want everyone to read Nietzsche. More like I'd prefer if people could grow an interest in challenging their "own" ideas.

Edit*
    On my own path, it is not one i would easily wish on anyone else :)
    I became an existentialist out of necessity.

Advertisement