Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD upgrade in Lenovo

Options
  • 19-10-2016 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hello,

Looking to upgrade the SSD drive in my Lenovo X240 laptop. Going to install Win 10 on the new drive. Looking at the Samsung EVO 850 500 GB drive.

Anybody used this drive? Any other recommendations? Really don't need 500 GB but read somewhere that these drives (SSD) slow down after filling to 60% or so. Any truth to that?

I'd like to switch the old drive to an external enclosure and boot from the USB port. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

txpjl wrote: »
    Hello,

Looking to upgrade the SSD drive in my Lenovo X240 laptop. Going to install Win 10 on the new drive. Looking at the Samsung EVO 850 500 GB drive.

Anybody used this drive? Any other recommendations? Really don't need 500 GB but read somewhere that these drives (SSD) slow down after filling to 60% or so. Any truth to that?

I'd like to switch the old drive to an external enclosure and boot from the USB port. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

T

I put an Evo 850 500GB in my OH's Lenovo Z500 recently. I cloned her existing HDD first and then swapped them. The thing starts almost instantly from pressing the power button.

Don't know about the slowing down. I've an 840 Pro 256GB in a W530 laptop that's about 75% full. The thing flies along no bother.

Having the old drive in an enclosure should be no bother. If you were going the cloning route you could use that to hold the SSD while you copied the HDD and then swapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Thanks for that ITHurts...

I don't need to clone it. Going with a fresh install on the new drive. For a while hold the option of booting off the old drive just in case I miss anything (hopefully from a USB port). After 6 months I'll format it and use as a spare.

Thanks
    T

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fresh install is best imo. Always a decent idea to give it a fresh start when changing drive imo.

As for speed dropping, I would doubt it. And if it does I would doubt whether it would be noticeable. I ran an old 64GB SSD (5+ years ago...) at around 90% capacity for it's entire life and it was lightning fast at all times.

Advertisement