Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a mobo + CPU combo

Options
  • 19-10-2016 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking at upgrading my parents PC. The problem is I don't want to start messing with thermal paste etc.
    I'm looking to buy a bundle that has the motherboard and CPU already in place.

I had a look on Komplett and they don't seem to sell them. Does anyone know where else I can look, and recommend me a good enough one, preferably with an Intel i5 (would an i7 be too much?) and some decent onboard graphics, as the current AMD X1250 can't even do YouTube in 1080p and struggles even on 720p!

TBH, I don't even know how much this would cost. Would I be around the ball park with €150? Or would it be closer to €400? I don't really want to be going too much over €200 tbh.

Current specs are:
    MSI MS-7367
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
    4GB DDR2 PC-6400
    Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

It runs grand for most things but I'm about to put on Windows 10 and register with a new product key so just don't want the hassle of having to reactivate (due to mobo change) in the future when I inevitably upgrade so I'm just gonna upgrade now and do it all in one go. Seems less hassle this way.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't have any specs for you but you will also need new sticks of RAM to go along with new motherboard.

I don't know anyplace that sells the motherboard with a CPU already connected but even if they did you would still need to use thermal paste as that goes between the CPU and cooler. Also I doubt you need to bother with paste as you would be using the stock cooler that comes with CPU and that already has thermal paste spread across the the bottom of CPU cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

OK so I can just buy the CPU with attached heatsink and fan and that'll already have the thermal paste done? That's actually what I'm looking for.
    It's been a good few years since I did a build so I'm a bit hazy. No wonder I couldn't find any online!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

You can buy them pre-assembled on amazon like this. The one I linked is an i3 because if the most your computer will be doing is watching videos you won't need more tbh but they will supply i5's etc if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Joshua J wrote: »
    You can buy them pre-assembled on amazon like this. The one I linked is an i3 because if the most your computer will be doing is watching videos you won't need more tbh but they will supply i5's etc if you wish.

Where does it say that it is pre-assembled. I just glanced over so may have missed it. To me it looks like a bundle of components but you still have to build it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Where does it say that it is pre-assembled. I just glanced over so may have missed it. To me it looks like a bundle of components but you still have to build it yourself.
    I bought it myself and it came assembled and if you read the reviews other customers are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Something like a G4400, 8GB DDR4 + H110M would be around €150 and would be plenty powerful for those uses now and for the best part of a decade. The X2 you're currently using itself is around 10 years old. Assembling these days is literally a 30 second job. Intel CPU's are pinless, very difficult to damage them, you literally put it into the socket, close the 'lid', and clip in the cooler - the stock cooler just uses push in clips, there's no screws, tools, or effort required at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Something like a G4400, 8GB DDR4 + H110M would be around €150 and would be plenty powerful for those uses now and for the best part of a decade. The X2 you're currently using itself is around 10 years old. Assembling these days is literally a 30 second job. Intel CPU's are pinless, very difficult to damage them, you literally put it into the socket, close the 'lid', and clip in the cooler - the stock cooler just uses push in clips, there's no screws, tools, or effort required at all.
    Wouldn't hurt to throw in a new power supply, too (€35-40).
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Celeron G3900 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor (£35.24 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus H110M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£47.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£32.49 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£38.70 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £154.42
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-20 09:39 BST+0100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Cheers lads.
    I've actually only gotten a PSU a few months ago as the other one gave out.
    I'll have a look at those amazon ones coz basically I just want to avoid the thermal paste part of it.
    But they look good for the price. I'd say any modern CPU will be leaps and bounds faster than the current one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Cheers lads.
    I've actually only gotten a PSU a few months ago as the other one gave out.
    I'll have a look at those amazon ones coz basically I just want to avoid the thermal paste part of it.
    But they look good for the price. I'd say any modern CPU will be leaps and bounds faster than the current one anyway.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/desktop-processors/000017400.html

There is no thermal paste to worry about.
    It's pre-applied on the boxed cooler.

Even a lowly G3900 scores 5x higher on Passmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The_B_Man wrote: »
    OK so I can just buy the CPU with attached heatsink and fan and that'll already have the thermal paste done? That's actually what I'm looking for.
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the stock fan for the Intel chips have some sort of pad on their stock fans that you use instead of thermal paste.

Thus you no messing with the paste, simply connect CPU to motherboard, and connect fan on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

the_syco wrote: »
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the stock fan for the Intel chips have some sort of pad on their stock fans that you use instead of thermal paste.

Thus you no messing with the paste, simply connect CPU to motherboard, and connect fan on top.

Nope, they have a fairly fine veneer of pre-applied thermal paste.

214b6e1f_intelC2Dstock_bot.jpeg

Advertisement