Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What gear do I need to camp out in Ireland, WINTER.

• 19-10-2016 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

In winter Ireland, what camping gear is needed to stay dry and not damp?

special sleeping bags?
    special mats?
    etc?

thanks.

long-term camping. weeks to months.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

What are you planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rochemedia

Your going to be camping for months? Try a halting site! :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I can't help but think that if you have to ask, you probably aren't prepared for it yet. Have you much experience in camping in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Are you planning on moving around much? On your own or with people? Camping for weeks would require a lot of gear at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you're worried about staying dry, then it'd be the same all year round:
    space under shelter to take off wet waterproof clothes and a dry inside section to move to with your under garments.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Don't mean to change the subject, yeh, I'm hoping to do some winter camping, I have a sleeping bag that can keep me warm down to 7 degrees, can I combine this with something else to keep me warm?

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Don't mean to change the subject, yeh, I'm hoping to do some winter camping, I have a sleeping bag that can keep me warm down to 7 degrees, can I combine this with something else to keep me warm?

I got myself a silk sleeping bag liner which is really light and works a treat to keep you toasty at night. It's not letting me post a url but just search on amazon for Scottish silkworm sleeping bag liner. they are very cheap.
    Another simple tips, I'd a bit obvious, is to eat before going to bed. Your body needs to burn fuel to keep warm. Also, make sure to get some sort of thermoset to go underneath your sleeping bag. This will make your sleep more comfortable but more importantly, it will help stop the heat from bleeding out of your body into the ground where your sleeping bag is compressed underneath you.

Hope that helps some.

rochemedia wrote: »
    I got myself a silk sleeping bag liner which is really light and works a treat to keep you toasty at night. It's not letting me post a url but just search on amazon for Scottish silkworm sleeping bag liner. they are very cheap.
    Another simple tips, I'd a bit obvious, is to eat before going to bed. Your body needs to burn fuel to keep warm. Also, make sure to get some sort of thermoset to go underneath your sleeping bag. This will make your sleep more comfortable but more importantly, it will help stop the heat from bleeding out of your body into the ground where your sleeping bag is compressed underneath you.

Hope that helps some.

*thermarest even

That should be grand for camping in the Wicklow mountains in November then, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

For winter camping Thermarest neo air all season (R value 4.9) or Thermarest neoair xtherm ( R 5.7).

You could use a fleece liner or combine 2 sleeping bags one inside the other.
    Also can put hot water into a Nalgene bottle and put inside your sleeping bag.

Wear thermal pants and top.

100% wool cap on your head.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Condensation everywhere.
    Impossible to keep everything dry.

Planet X wrote: »
    Condensation everywhere.
    Impossible to keep everything dry.

Are you talking about you're own experience recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Hope OP doesn't mind if I post in here. It's a winter sleeping bag so might be of use to anyone else skimming through.

Can anyone explain the difference between 'Interior length' v 'Max user length' in a sleeping bag?

Looking at this and there's a pretty bid difference between the two. I'm 192cm and trying to figure out if it'd be too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Mountain Comfort Fit
    Extra Long
    227cm
    78cm
    60cm

Regular
    212cm
    76cm
    59cm

short
    197cm
    74cm
    58cm

I reckon you need the extra long size.(227cm)
    Personal preference in a winter bag I get the next size up so I can pull the hood well up over my head,wear extra clothes if needed,although it's said the more roomier it is the less warm it will be,more air to heat.
    Maybe if your over 185cm in the regular you'd compress the insulation too much at your feet or the hood may not fit properly.

212 cm could be the external length...?

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/starlight-iv

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Are you talking about you're own experience recently?

Yes, talking from my own experience but not recently, but say over the last 20 or so years.

Advertisement