Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Form 11 Help

Options
  • 18-10-2016 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Trying to file my Form 11 but it seemed so much easier last year. I was an employee last year and I was also self employed so need to file a Form 11. I'm not registered for VAT. This might be a stupid question but how much of an expense can I claim? So let's say for example I was paid €4,000 for year as self employed and had a genuine expense of €900 (I know what expenses I can and can't claim for). What percentage of the expense do I claim? Is it just the VAT on it? I tried to look it up but I'm hit with information on how to file a Form 11 but not what to put into it. I'll also be declaring rental income and have a few expenses on that too, like carpets, furniture etc. Is this the same? Is it only the VAT I can claim? If I had the money I'd pay for an Accountant but I don't. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭billcullen1

Rockymiss wrote: »
    Trying to file my Form 11 but it seemed so much easier last year. I was an employee last year and I was also self employed so need to file a Form 11. I'm not registered for VAT. This might be a stupid question but how much of an expense can I claim? So let's say for example I was paid €4,000 for year as self employed and had a genuine expense of €900 (I know what expenses I can and can't claim for). What percentage of the expense do I claim? Is it just the VAT on it? I tried to look it up but I'm hit with information on how to file a Form 11 but not what to put into it. I'll also be declaring rental income and have a few expenses on that too, like carpets, furniture etc. Is this the same? Is it only the VAT I can claim? If I had the money I'd pay for an Accountant but I don't. Thanks in advance.

Seek Professional Advise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rockymiss

Seek Professional Advise!

Thanks for your advice I figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

VAT is irrelevant to you as you are not registered.

You should claim that % of the expense that relates to your business activity.

For rental it's either a rental expense or it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rockymiss

Thank you I think I just got a bit confused as I used to do my husband's accounts and he was registered for vat. This year is my first year to be self assessed and the Form 11 is just massive. I have it all done now, just need to stop doubting myself!

Advertisement