Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann Online Tickets

Options
  • 18-10-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Is it cheaper to book the tickets online as opposed to the bus station? If I do this do I have to pick a specific departure time? I know what bus I'll be going up on but returning it all depends on what time my flight gets me back at so don't really want to commit to picking an exact time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

thebuzz wrote: »
    Is it cheaper to book the tickets online as opposed to the bus station? If I do this do I have to pick a specific departure time? I know what bus I'll be going up on but returning it all depends on what time my flight gets me back at so don't really want to commit to picking an exact time.

It's 5% cheaper online.

No you are not tied to a specific departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 smncnnr

You can travel on any departure for the majority of routes. However, as far as I know, online tickets for the Dublin - Belfast route (and possibly others) are for specific departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't think it makes any sense to buy return tickets online any longer. I ended up buying two tickets to and from my destination online for €5 more than a monthly return ticket.

Not only was it more expensive, but online you have to specify the date and times of travel. So it's pointless buying online when you can simply buy a more flexible return ticket at the bus station. Online suggests you are guaranteed a seat but that's not the case when you end up queueing along with other passengers anyway to get on the bus.

The site fare finder even suggests the cheaper return ticket, you just can't buy it online..... It's the last time I buy a ticket online.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't think it makes any sense to buy return tickets online any longer. I ended up buying two tickets to and from my destination online for €5 more than a monthly return ticket.

Not only was it more expensive, but online you have to specify the date and times of travel. So it's pointless buying online when you can simply buy a more flexible return ticket at the bus station. Online suggests you are guaranteed a seat but that's not the case when you end up queueing along with other passengers anyway to get on the bus.

The site fare finder even suggests the cheaper return ticket, you just can't buy it online..... It's the last time I buy a ticket online.

When you buy a return online the date/time of the return trip doesn't matter. When you show your online ticket to the driver they print you out a standard monthly return ticket any way. So, buying a return ticket online is the same as getting it from the driver/bus station but cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

smncnnr wrote: »
    You can travel on any departure for the majority of routes. However, as far as I know, online tickets for the Dublin - Belfast route (and possibly others) are for specific departures.

No they're not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 smncnnr

Why then are different departures given different fares and can sell out?
    busonlineticket.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

smncnnr wrote: »
    Why then are different departures given different fares and can sell out?
    busonlineticket.PNG

I think these are like the train where your name would be on a list.
    A guaranteed seat if you like!

When you buy a return online the date/time of the return trip doesn't matter. When you show your online ticket to the driver they print you out a standard monthly return ticket any way. So, buying a return ticket online is the same as getting it from the driver/bus station but cheaper.

That's the way it used to work, but it doesn't any longer. That's my point. You don't get that choice, instead it's like Ryanair, you get two mac numbers for each journey leg. Plus it's more expensive online.

There's no choice online to buy a return ticket.

I think these are like the train where your name would be on a list. A guaranteed seat if you like!

You don't get a guaranteed seat because you queue like everyone else. AFAIR the site specified you should go to the "priority" queue for your bus. As if there had ever been such a concept in busaras.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's the way it used to work, but it doesn't any longer. That's my point. You don't get that choice, instead it's like Ryanair, you get two mac numbers for each journey leg. Plus it's more expensive online.

There's no choice online to buy a return ticket.

That's the way it worked for me over the Christmas. When did it change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EOB32

I'm looking to book the last bus on a particular route for this evening. Am I right in saying there is no point in booking online as you are just going to the back of the queue whenever you arrive at station?

EOB32 wrote: »
    I'm looking to book the last bus on a particular route for this evening. Am I right in saying there is no point in booking online as you are just going to the back of the queue whenever you arrive at station?

When you get to the station you queue up just like everyone else regardless of where you bought your ticket. Online should work out a bit cheaper.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just to point out that this is only for BE services.

GoBE * to Cork and other private companies like Aircoach, GoBus, CityLink, etc. all guarantee you a seat on the selected departure time and they check you off a list of names/ticket numbers as you board.

* GoBE being a service that operates out of BusAras, in partnership between BE and GoBus, but is in fact operated by private coaches, so is a bit different to the other BE services. They check your name off on a list of booked tickets on their smart phones as your board.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

You don't get a guaranteed seat because you queue like everyone else. AFAIR the site specified you should go to the "priority" queue for your bus. As if there had ever been such a concept in busaras.

On the X2 Translink DublinAirport-Belfast, Belfast-DublinAirport express service there is online booking where you are ensured of a seat. A conductor comes out and asks those with online tickets to board first, then the rest are allowed get on. To ensure that those who booked online get the best seats or seats at all. The X2 is usually very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 38,184 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ordered a ticket online yesterday for Friday 5th May from Waterford- Dublin (Bus Aras) student return

i booked for leaving at 15.00 and returning at 23.45 but can i leave Waterford Earlier in the day or do i have to go on the 15.00 bus ???

I have an oldish student card will that cause problems ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It's cheaper and you don't have to stick to a time. The driver prints you the same ticket as everyone else.

Advertisement